PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling power front seats on coupe with safety catch lever

rph
10-18-2004, 07:08 AM
I need to replace a broken safety catch lever on the driver's front seat, and would appreciate any hints for getting this job done.

Mike H
10-18-2004, 05:49 PM
The lever itself just snaps into place. So if that is all you broke, you'll just need to pull the broken piece and replace with a good one. If you broke the pivot mechanism, you'll need to take the back of the seat off to replace that.

rph
10-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Looks like the lever fractured about half way along its length -- ie about an inch inside the seat edge. I got the plastic surround around the hole in the side of the seat off, allowing a better view, and a way to get a screw driver in to push the remaining section up and possibly release the safety catch. Looks like the back of the seat will need to come off. Can this be removed without removing the seat?

The lever itself just snaps into place. So if that is all you broke, you'll just need to pull the broken piece and replace with a good one. If you broke the pivot mechanism, you'll need to take the back of the seat off to replace that.

Mike H
10-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Looks like the lever fractured about half way along its length -- ie about an inch inside the seat edge. I got the plastic surround around the hole in the side of the seat off, allowing a better view, and a way to get a screw driver in to push the remaining section up and possibly release the safety catch. Looks like the back of the seat will need to come off. Can this be removed without removing the seat?

To pull off the back of the seat you'll need to . . .
1. Remove the lever and surround for the seat release (already done)
2. Remove the headrest (pulls straight up to release)
3. Remove two screws at the bottom of the seat back

If you still need more, I can post pictures of the process tomorrow.

rph
10-20-2004, 08:19 PM
To pull off the back of the seat you'll need to . . .
1. Remove the lever and surround for the seat release (already done)
2. Remove the headrest (pulls straight up to release)
3. Remove two screws at the bottom of the seat back

If you still need more, I can post pictures of the process tomorrow.

The headrest didn't want to come out -- maybe I need to work it further. Under the plastic surround on top of the seat where the headrest comes out there are 2 screws with Torx type heads. Do these figure into the equation?

Would you recommend removing the seat before going to town on it? Especially to do 3. above?

If you have pics that would be good. You could email me at huntingrp@yahoo.com if that's easier.

I got a loan of a Bentley book tonight. It has an X-ray view of the seat bits and pieces but not much else besides how to remove the seat from the car.