PDA

View Full Version : Frozen (stuck) rear wheels

dbluband
10-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Hey guys,

I just purchased a 89' 535i with about 118,000 miles. I basically got it for nothing and hope to fix it up for a winter car.

When they towing company cam to flatbed it to my home, the rear wheels would not budge. They had to drag it onto the flatbed. When the car was dropped off, it did roll a little bit, but was still pretty tight.

I am assuming that the calipers and rotors are rusted. Is there a way to clean this off or am I better off just replacing calipers, rotors, pads?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave Bluaband

SharkmanBMW
10-04-2004, 04:52 PM
the last thing you want is to have rear wheels that don't brake smoothly in snow!

spend the cash and save your ass!!!

aris
10-04-2004, 04:54 PM
hmm you could probably put them in some type of acidic solution, that would remove the rust. But, it would not be smooth, so i would proabably just replace them. Oh on a side note im new here =). Am trying to get a 92 535ia from my father.

632 Regal
10-04-2004, 09:45 PM
umm.... go to the center counsul, look for a bar in the middle with a push button on the end. push the button, release it to the downward position thus releasing the park brake.

simple huh?

SharkmanBMW
10-04-2004, 10:38 PM
sweeeet!!!

lol

PhilipJCaputo
10-04-2004, 10:40 PM
The parking brake could be stuck on..... this happen to me once on an S10 when water got inside the parking brake cable and froze..... even after a thaw the cable was still jammed.

I'd check out obvious things like brakes.... BUT, if you got it for close to nothing.... perhaps someone has already looked into getting it fixed and realized it was going to be loads of money.

Let us know what you find!

dbluband
10-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys, but the parking brake was not engaged, at least not the interior handle. Thats not to say that it wasn't frozen and putting the handle down did not accomplish anything.