PDA

View Full Version : Can I use 100LL avation gas?

Matt M.
09-15-2004, 03:37 PM
I have a 98' M3 with every bell and whistle on it and I was wondering if there are any problems with using a higher octane gas such as the 100 octane low lead they use for aviation. My car is supercharged, intercooled, with an aquamist system and an obd-I conversion car, with upgraded headers and UUC straight through exhaust (with no cat. converters). I need to use higher octane gas because I am running a supercharger and chip that is remaped to use 93 octane or above. So the real question is, can I do this without damage to my engine or other components?

Hallmark
09-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Even though the amounts are reduced from avgas made before the '70s it contains a lot of lead and this is enough to ruin your catalytic converter.

Matt M.
09-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Even though the amounts are reduced from avgas made before the '70s it contains a lot of lead and this is enough to ruin your catalytic converter.

But I don't have a catalytic converter...so would the lead content be bad for my engine?

winfred
09-15-2004, 06:30 PM
it will not hurt the engine, it will slow down the o2 sensor as it gets coated with lead killing performance, and 100ll avation fuel is formulated to burn at a different rate then ground based fuel (because of the limited o2 and much colder temps way up) i read about exactly what the issues were but it was a long time ago and i can't remember, i think real racing gas will yield better performance

But I don't have a catalytic converter...so would the lead content be bad for my engine?