PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Joe
02-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Hi,

I drive a '92 535i auto sport and last night I was booting it down a local dual carriageway, when I got to the next set of traffic lights, nothing no forward motion, just revving but no motion. In reverse its pulls as normal, but nothing forward.

Anyone have any idea as to what it might be?

Thanks
Joe

Tiger
02-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Call Kirt Koeller 616-748-5735

winfred
02-08-2004, 01:20 PM
welcome to the common A-clutch failure that's dogged the zf 4hp-22 tranny in volvo's, jag's, peaugot's and bimmers. the root problem is two 1" metal seals where the input shaft goes through the pump, start to leak and apply pressure to the 1st gear clutch while in park, this burns the disks and steel shims in the clutch pack. if you are are real handy with a wrench it can be fixed for about $50 in parts, theres 5-7 friction disks, 5-7 steel disks, 2 teflon seals that replace the steel **** seals (they still sell the steel seals for some reason) and a paper gasket that goes between the pump and tranny case

Joe
02-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks Buddy.

I'm on the case, will hopefully get it sorted this week.

Joe
02-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Is it possible it could be an electrical fault as I can see no oil, and there is no smell!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Joe

winfred
02-10-2004, 01:23 PM
internal leak applys pressure to the 1st gear clutches and burns them up, i do at least one a month, it don't move in drive but moves in reverse is exactly what i want to hear from the customer bringing it in for repair, sometimes it won't move at all. i need to do a write up on the next one i do, a few pictures are worth a thousand words

Joe
02-10-2004, 01:27 PM
How difficult is it to sort out on my own then, I'm fairly well mechanically minded but is it a problem I can sort out on my own. Another thing is I'm in the UK, so any idea where I'd find parts?

A further advance is, with the engine running, when the brake pedal is pressed and lifted there is a clicking noise, which sounds as if its coming from the glove box?!?!

Thanks
Joe

winfred
02-10-2004, 01:33 PM
you remove the tranny from the car, and remove the bellhousing with the pump atached, then the a-clutch slides right off with the bellhousing and pump. ill try to take some pics tomorrow, i don't have my camera today

Joe
02-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your help, pictures would b cool.

What parts do you think I'm gonna need? Any idea of costs?

Thanks again.
Joe

Tiger
02-10-2004, 03:27 PM
When you replace one thing... other things will go... so you do entire tranny overhaul... not just this and that. Otherwise you will find yourself redoing the tranny within a year... and that is if you got it right the first time too... for a non-pro tranny repair... it is just too much chance to simply replace one internal part.

myles
02-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Joe,

In right hand drive e34s the brake pedal has a long linkage that runs across the inside of the firewall. It transfers the brake pedal action from the right side of the car to the left side of the car. There is a pivoting arrangement behind the glove box. This way the brake boosters and master cylinders etc are able to be mounted in the same place on the right hand drive cars as they are on the left hand drive car.

HTH
Myles
;)

Joe
02-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Any reason it would be clicking, or is it just to do with it not selecting a gear?

Cheers
Joe

myles
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Could be that the linkage needs a little lubrication or it could be the brake light switch. On my (89 535im RHD) car the brake light switch is just above the pedal, but in my father-in-laws (94 525ia RHD) the brake light switch is behind the glove box. Other than this difference the brake pedal arrangement is the same on both. I can't understand why they are different, but you may find the brake light switch is behind the glove box on your car and making more clicking noise than normal (the switch normally make a quiet clicking sound as it switches on and off)

Myles

632 Regal
02-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Then I'll save them pics for the inevitable.
:D

winfred
02-10-2004, 09:36 PM
not that i know of

Joe
02-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Any pics as of yet?

winfred
02-11-2004, 08:07 PM
i got a camera load, i just need to organise them and upload them

Joe
02-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Ok cool, just waiting to see if its a job I could do myself.

Any idea of the parts I'm gonna need if its what you think?

Thanks
Joe