PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak again. please help!!!

PABLO
08-31-2004, 12:42 PM
hey guys, my bmw 520 1989 is leaking coolant again. I changed hoses, water pump, thermostat, engine fun, repaired the radiator, and also i had to change the head gasket. And it keeps on loosing coolant, and the worser is that i cant find where its leaking. And every two or three days i have to poor some coolant to fill in the radiator. (cars temperature is ok, almost in the middle)
The pressure of hoses are very high, i dont know if they should be.
I'm very puzzled with this problem and i'm sick and tired of going every single week to the mecanic since the problem started that was like eight months ago.
For me this problem is realy a thread
i will preciate your opinion
Thank you very much
Pablo

califblue
08-31-2004, 01:00 PM
I had the same probelm, with my new radiator too. It was the plastic nipple for the return line ( next to upper hose). I took it back and they gave me a new BEAHR and it has a brass tube in the middle of the plastic nipple....no more problems!

632 Regal
08-31-2004, 01:02 PM
perhaps your engine is bleeding the excess air into the reservoir and you will have to stop adding soon. No drips, puddles or smoke you may not be leaking. Also check that the oil level isnt higher or milky looking.

grave77
08-31-2004, 01:11 PM
I think that your engine block is cracked .. u need to check the oil in the engine if it's mixed with water or coloure in brown like chocolate. if not .. then the head gasket is not installed properly and it's blocking the water flow as well. I'm sorry to tell that the 520i and 525i engine is pain in the A** I had this 525i and I didn't know how to get it lost untill I got the 535i which is great !!

PABLO
08-31-2004, 01:15 PM
im adding coolant since two weeks ago. I hate to be pessimistic but i think it wont stop.
(With excess air you mean air trapped in the circuit?)
the oil level is right and it isnt milky.
smoke comes out in the moorning with engine cold, the it gets normal.
Thank you very much for your answer
pablo

632 Regal
08-31-2004, 01:50 PM
im adding coolant since two weeks ago. I hate to be pessimistic but i think it wont stop.
(With excess air you mean air trapped in the circuit?)
the oil level is right and it isnt milky.
smoke comes out in the moorning with engine cold, the it gets normal.
Thank you very much for your answer
pablo

PABLO
08-31-2004, 01:57 PM
between half and 75% of a liter after the last bleeding of the engine (two weeks ago)

632 Regal
08-31-2004, 02:49 PM
sounds normal, now if you have to add that much for a month or so id think about it but just let it slide right now.

PABLO
08-31-2004, 03:29 PM
OK thank you