View Full Version : 1985 bmw 323i BRAKE LIGHT warning always on

lentildude
08-28-2004, 11:27 AM
hope someone can help I ccant get rid of the
lining light and brake warning light - always on

I did some tests

The sensors :
removed the connection and tested across sensor
with continuety meter. sensor shows short. this is normal i think .
(worn pads = open circuit)

The switch on master cylinder - float switch.
Disconnecting both wires from float switch and measuring across the WIRES.
shows short or closed circuit??? This doesnt seem normal and there
is no indication of cut, damaged wiiring.

I
Any ideas?

Bruno
08-28-2004, 08:09 PM
I had the same problem in a '87 325i cab.
I pulled out the instrument cluster and I reflowed the solder points on the board...

It cured the problem, I read that somewhere on the web.

lentildude
08-28-2004, 10:41 PM
FIXED!!
After all the checking it was fuse 16

see below for fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From digest.v4.n808 Fri Jul 5 06:35:54 1996
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 22:20:44 -0700
Subject: 325 Brake Light

Graham,
Problem: Brake warning light on dash staying on. I too experienced a similar problem recently with my 325e ('87). The fluid level was correct. The switch was operating okay. The brake fuses were good.
Brian from Michael McMichael Motors in Adelaide South Australia provided the following advise which solved the problem.

Check that fuse #16 is okay. If you refer to your owners manual, #16 is for a seat heater (?) don't know the link between this and the brake light, but, failing this..
Remove the ashtray from the centre consul and inspect the lighter and light connections for a foreign metal body, eg pin, hair clip etc. Again, I don't understand the link but apparently, a pin or similar may short out the connections and cause the brake light to appear. My problem was a faulty fuse #16. Good luck.

uscharalph
10-03-2005, 10:14 PM
FIXED!!
After all the checking it was fuse 16

see below for fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From digest.v4.n808 Fri Jul 5 06:35:54 1996
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 22:20:44 -0700
Subject: 325 Brake Light

Graham,
Problem: Brake warning light on dash staying on. I too experienced a similar problem recently with my 325e ('87). The fluid level was correct. The switch was operating okay. The brake fuses were good.
Brian from Michael McMichael Motors in Adelaide South Australia provided the following advise which solved the problem.

Check that fuse #16 is okay. If you refer to your owners manual, #16 is for a seat heater (?) don't know the link between this and the brake light, but, failing this..
Remove the ashtray from the centre consul and inspect the lighter and light connections for a foreign metal body, eg pin, hair clip etc. Again, I don't understand the link but apparently, a pin or similar may short out the connections and cause the brake light to appear. My problem was a faulty fuse #16. Good luck.
Was this for the "brake lining" warning