PDA

View Full Version : timing belt

leigh
08-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Hello -- I'm new to this forum -- a friend recommended it.

I have a 1988 325, 145,000 miles. I've been diligent about maintaining it.

I replaced the timing belt in July '00 at 115K miles.
The auto shop is now telling me that I need to replace my timing belt every 25K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. (I live in San Francisco, a maritime climate.)

They also told me that when they go in to replace the timing belt, if they see other things that need replacing like water pump etc., they just fix it & bill me. They said it's inconvenient to call me to get an okay if it's an additional big repair.

My main question is replacing timing belt -- does what they're telling me sound about right or is it overly cautious?

Second question is the deal about just doing additional replacements/repairs while replacing the belt. Is that normal? It's all seeming a bit odd.

JonE
08-18-2004, 10:46 AM
leigh,
I think my '89 325i calls for timing belt about every 60-65000 miles. I don't know why your '88 would need it more frequently. I wouldn't be comfortable with a shop doing anything without my ok first. You are the customer, you should call the shots. Frequently it is water pump replacement time about the same time as the timing belt, but, again probably more in the 60-65,000 mile area. The labor cost is theoretically decreased if a mechanic only has to go in once to do both jobs.

winfred
08-18-2004, 12:12 PM
i like a nice round 50k miles or 5 years for the cam belt and i usually do the water pump and thermostat at the same time