PDA

View Full Version : Soft swaybar bushing broken

JonE
08-16-2004, 10:39 AM
I have a '89 325iC that has a broken bracket for the front driver's side sway bar bushing. After obtaining a new bracket and getting under the car I realized that the crossmember attachment is what was broken. I have no place to connect the bracket! :( Has anyone had this problem, is it a matter of fabricating and welding an attachment piece to the crossmember or do I have to replace that whole front cross member?

BCOOK2
08-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I Was Successful In Welding/reinforcing The Rear Sway Bar Mounts On The Rear Control Arms, Have Not Lost The Front. Looks Like You Or Someone You Know Will Have To Assess Which Of Your Only Two Options Is The Best Route. I Know Welding Saved Me An Even More Undesirable Headache, And I Was Able To (maybe Excessively) Reinforce The Problem Area. All I Hear Is That All Mounting Points For E30 Sway Bars,(f+r), Weaken And Break When Oversized Bars Are Installed. Especially If Your Suspension Setup Is Stiff.

JonE
08-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the response, looks like I'll be talking to someone about welding this thing. I don't even know if replacement front crossmembers are available.