PDA

View Full Version : 'Trailering' e34 behind a moving truck....

Dave M
08-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm moving across the country (Canada) in a couple of weeks and have considred towing the 525 behind the u-haul truck on a trailer (not a dolly). I've never towed a vehicle in this manner, especially over such a distance and wonder whether body damage/paint chipping is a common occurance. Anything else to know? Any advice appreciated. The new job is paying for the move so no probs with cost, but would rather only have one driver at a time on our 5000km venture.

Thanks again

George M
08-06-2004, 06:20 PM
if the new job is paying for the move then investigate the cost of flat bedding your BMW cross country and see if the company will pick up the tab or defray your cost by the blanket sum allocated covering the move.

Dave M
08-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Shall look into it. I suppose cost does become a issue at some point.

winfred
08-06-2004, 10:15 PM
strap a car cover to the front of the car? i've seen some trailers with a shield up the front of the trailer to ward off crud, there shouldn't be that much crap with the car running in the slipstream of the truck on paved roads

body damage/paint chipping is a common occurance. Anything else to know? Any advice appreciated.

632 Regal
08-06-2004, 11:07 PM
DO NOT just DRAG your car over 25 miles without a full car trailor!
theres millions of reasons...just dont! this is NOT a place to save a few bux...really! try it and tell.

Dave M
08-07-2004, 05:35 PM
you elude to below. I will heed the advice of Winfred and use a cover for the front at minimum.
Thanks again guys.

DO NOT just DRAG your car over 25 miles without a full car trailor!
theres millions of reasons...just dont! this is NOT a place to save a few bux...really! try it and tell.

western99
08-08-2004, 02:22 PM
CN will ship your car from Vancouver to Toronto for about $1k