PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wong- About your fuel pump install...

Warren N.CA
08-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Can you guys tell me the pitfalls (what's gonna drive me nuts).

I'm going to start that project soon, and would like to hear some "gorey" details.

632 Regal
08-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Warren I havent ventured into that project yet so I can learn from you here...lol. I think I read that there is an access panel in the trunk floor and it is a pretty straight forward project. I may be completley wrong too. I'll see what I can find on the subject.

Remember NO smoking!!!

Derek A.
08-05-2004, 05:39 PM
There is a write up on Bruno's site. I did it a couple of years ago. Make sure you have some new hose clamps, otherwise pretty straight forward. The only problem I had was psychological. When I did mine the gas tank was pretty full. Was a bit nervous with 17 gallones open to the outside world. Its pretty strange to be sticking en electricla device in all that gasoline. Make sure you install a new fuel filter, that is about it.

Bill R.
08-05-2004, 05:57 PM
dash cluster was... the Only tip i have is to use up as much gas as possible before starting on it.... It would be real easy if the tank was full of water instead of gas...Get a pair of nitrile gloves that go as far up your arm to your elbow as you can get if you're not a big fan of bathing in gasoline. Other than that its a piece of cake.
My list of things i dislike the most when working on cars..
Bathing in gasoline
Bathing in antifreeze
Bathing in brake fluid
Bathing in Pentosin
Bathing in atf
Bathing in gear lube
Bathing in mercedes diff oil

QUOTE=Warren N.CA]Can you guys tell me the pitfalls (what's gonna drive me nuts).

I'm going to start that project soon, and would like to hear some "gorey" details.[/QUOTE]

632 Regal
08-05-2004, 05:57 PM
:d

mike wong
08-05-2004, 06:19 PM
agree with Derek & Bill; job is relatively straight forward. recommend doing with gas tank low in fuel e.g. 1/8 tank.

MAKE sure you order the correct one of two pumps.....

recall Bentley's has instructions also.

loosening/unclamping the rubber grips around the pump is a little tricky, as it is done more by feel, because you can't shine much flashlight in the opening.

why are you R&R? is your pump whining? low fuel pressure?

enclosed is a photo of my pump. note about 1/3 of the crimped edge of the aluminum housing had broken off... I can just imagine if more crimping had let go that the motor could have popped out of the housing. no explosion, but there would be "schrapnel" scattered in the tank...

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/mywong23/fuel%20pump%20copy.jpg

632 Regal
08-05-2004, 06:37 PM
OK, whats Pentosin?

Bill R.
08-05-2004, 07:54 PM
bmw , mercedes, saab, citroen and any others made in europe that have hydroboost power brakes with self leveling rear suspension or asc+t

OK, whats Pentosin?

Hector
08-06-2004, 08:51 AM
the cleanest "mechanic" he has ever seen. I don't get that dirty when working on cars. Why? 'Cause I always use gloves, tons of shop blue paper towels, a street mat to lay down on... all because I don't like getting the house dirty with grease... and sometimes and I'll change clothes because I sweat buckets...

dash cluster was... the Only tip i have is to use up as much gas as possible before starting on it.... It would be real easy if the tank was full of water instead of gas...Get a pair of nitrile gloves that go as far up your arm to your elbow as you can get if you're not a big fan of bathing in gasoline. Other than that its a piece of cake.
My list of things i dislike the most when working on cars..
Bathing in gasoline
Bathing in antifreeze
Bathing in brake fluid
Bathing in Pentosin
Bathing in atf
Bathing in gear lube
Bathing in mercedes diff oil

QUOTE=Warren N.CA]Can you guys tell me the pitfalls (what's gonna drive me nuts).

I'm going to start that project soon, and would like to hear some "gorey" details.[/QUOTE]

Warren N.CA
08-06-2004, 12:28 PM
It's making sort of a hissing sound. I hear brand new ones might make the same sound. My reason for replacing it is that on 10/6, I will be driving across the Rockies to Denver and the pump is original, with 178K. Mike Miller's magazine articles strongly recommend preventative replacement at over 120K. The car is running great, and has no "issues." (Except for the burning rubber smell on the driver's side, immediately after shutdown. I had not paid much attention to this, until folks here on the board mentioned it. Now I notice it, as well.)

bmw , mercedes, saab, citroen and any others made in europe that have hydroboost power brakes with self leveling rear suspension or asc+t

Warren N.CA
08-06-2004, 12:44 PM
when I did Inspection II, only a few months ago. Should I change it again? What's the reason?

There is a write up on Bruno's site. I did it a couple of years ago. Make sure you have some new hose clamps, otherwise pretty straight forward. The only problem I had was psychological. When I did mine the gas tank was pretty full. Was a bit nervous with 17 gallones open to the outside world. Its pretty strange to be sticking en electricla device in all that gasoline. Make sure you install a new fuel filter, that is about it.

Bill R.
08-06-2004, 12:52 PM
when I did Inspection II, only a few months ago. Should I change it again? What's the reason?