PDA

View Full Version : "Sword" replacement/glove box alignment

JonE
08-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I finally replaced my "sword" the other day, had been intermittent since winter (occasionally fan only worked on "high" or "4"). David Rainey at EuroElectronic [ameristar@comcast.net]was who I got the rebuilt sword from. He is a very nice man and provided excellent service. I paid $136 for the sword and will receive $30 back for the old sword "core". I would recommend him if anyone needs to replace their sword and wants to do it themselves. He also rebuilds LKM's, I think.
Anyway, the job wasn't too bad, kinda cramped down there and I had heard that the glove box alignment might be difficult. Here is what I did for alignment. Leave the two rear glove box hinge clips loose on the rod in back and latch the glove box up in front. With the clips loose you can now adjust your box for alignment. Once you like the position then you can click the clips so they grip the rod. I had to adjust it once or twice after this step. There is a final locking position to those clips. So, there is three positions to the clips in back "loose", "clipped", and "locked". My glove box is now aligned better than it had been before sword replacement. :)
Hope this helps someone else.
Jon

632 Regal
08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
I like that technique, going to give it a whirl later when I get home.

winfred
08-03-2004, 04:43 PM
dat's de way to do it

Leave the two rear glove box hinge clips loose on the rod in back and latch the glove box up in front.

wengenstein
08-04-2004, 01:41 PM
From what I read on Bruno's site it sounds like only cars manufactured prior to early '90 have swords, is this true? Recently the blower on my '95 540i began exhibiting the classic intermittentcy on positions 1, 2, and 3 and I'm hoping I only have to replace the cheaper resistance pack :)

Dennis

JonE
08-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Not sure what HVAC system your 540 has but Bruno's procedure for checking for the resistor pack is pretty easy. Just remove that panel above your feet on the left side of the car, kinda tricky getting it all out and while you have it out you can tighten your steering collar nut too, if you want.

Bill R.
08-04-2004, 04:09 PM
From what I read on Bruno's site it sounds like only cars manufactured prior to early '90 have swords, is this true? Recently the blower on my '95 540i began exhibiting the classic intermittentcy on positions 1, 2, and 3 and I'm hoping I only have to replace the cheaper resistance pack :)

Dennis

DueyT
08-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Like Bill R. notes, a VIN and ETK check is required, you may not have what you think from the "rule of thumb".

My 95 540i/6 uses the "64 11 8 390 015 - Limit switch" even though many say it should have the resistor pack. Now I have to pull it while I'm replacing teh heater core supply tubes... =:-o

Cheers,
Duey

Bill R.
08-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Like Bill R. notes, a VIN and ETK check is required, you may not have what you think from the "rule of thumb".

My 95 540i/6 uses the "64 11 8 390 015 - Limit switch" even though many say it should have the resistor pack. Now I have to pull it while I'm replacing teh heater core supply tubes... =:-o

Cheers,
Duey