PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms & Ball Joints?

Steven G
07-31-2004, 11:20 AM
I noticed a set of inner & outer ball joints for a control arm on ebay. Usually, when you have a bad inner ball joint, you need to purchase a new control arm with both ball joints installed already. I wonder if anyone has ever replaced the inner and outer ball joints only and how difficult was that? Also any preference on Lemforder or Meyle brand (with steel ball joints) control arms?
Thanks.
Steven G.
95 325iC
95 525iA

winfred
07-31-2004, 11:30 AM
it takes some special jigs to change the inner, it use to be cheeper to buy e30 arms to replace the e36 arms but the price has come down a lot, you should be able to score some for under $100 each plus the price of the bushing at the rear

I noticed a set of inner & outer ball joints for a control arm on ebay. Usually, when you have a bad inner ball joint, you need to purchase a new control arm with both ball joints installed already. I wonder if anyone has ever replaced the inner and outer ball joints only and how difficult was that? Also any preference on Lemforder or Meyle brand (with steel ball joints) control arms?
Thanks.
Steven G.
95 325iC
95 525iA

Steven G
07-31-2004, 02:23 PM
I will probably go with the complete control arms - only need to decide which brand to go with.
Thanks again.

BCOOK2
08-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Definately Go With New! They're Much Easier To Deal With. I Have Done Just The Ball Joints Once, It Of Course Turned Into A Nightmare. Save Some Energy For A Nice Clean Reinstallation.

BCOOK2
08-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks.
Steven G.
95 325iC
95 525iA
DEFINATELY GO WITH NEW! THEY'RE MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH. I HAVE DONE JUST THE BALL JOINTS ONCE, IT OF COURSE TURNED INTO A NIGHTMARE. SAVE SOME ENERGY FOR A NICE CLEAN REINSTALLATION.