PDA

View Full Version : new guy here, hungry for a manual wagon

j_dock2
02-05-2004, 01:33 AM
Hi gang-

sbcncsu and I are old pals, we seriously go *way* back, and he directed me to your forum for my BMW questions.

I am soon to pay off my '95 Mustang GT, and wanted to move over to a vehicle that was more practical, better built, and still fun to drive. Therefore, I'm thinking 5-series wagon (touring). I haul a lot of band gear (including drums) and the additional cargo space would be wonderful to have, and I'm just not an SUV kinda guy.

I'd basically like to get a 5xx iT with a manual trans, with as big an engine as I can get. Unfortunately I have no real idea how these BMWS were optioned, as I am woefully ignorant of BMWs overall (though helping Scott with his 318 was actually a lot of fun.)

I figure, either I get a manual trans "big motored" BMW straightaway, or get one that has the possibility for a manual trans swap in the future (I understand that the 530i had a 5-speed, and I've seen references to 540 manual trans swaps?? Oh, the *thought* of it makes me grin) but essentially, I'd like to ask for your opinions and information on this plan.

Lastly, I'd like to keep the cost reasonable (I want to pay cash for the car), so bucks-up late models are out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

- J. Dock, future propellerhead

sbcncsu
02-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Yep, we go way back, 6th grade or so... 20 years.

Anyway, Help J. Dock out with a touring. I sent him that link to the low mileage 530iT that was on Ebay to give him an idea what is out there. Matt P should chime in and show off his ultimate touring machine! :homer voice: M5 Touring, mmmmmmm :/homer voice:

You need to read this article before you go and buy an E34 V8:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/v8shortblock.htm

Watch out for the double sunroof and the wiring that goes to the liftgate.

Also, there are some folks here with Manual Conversions on V8 cars that would be happy to share their experiences.

Also, Bret Luter in Apex (remember Bret from your NASA days) is selling used BMW parts and lately he has been selling manual conversion parts for older 535s and may come up with parts for a V8 conversion.

I hope you can find you a touring. They are sweet.

DrewZ
02-05-2004, 10:15 AM
1) Import one privately from Europe.
2) Buy one with an automatic & convert it yourself.
3) Buy one that's already been either: a) imported privately or b) converted.

With option one, you can get a 6-speed 540i Touring starting around 5000 euros, but the required importation/federalization will cost approximately $10,000.

With option two, you'll have less money out-of-pocket up front, but the conversion cost could range anywhere from $3000 to $10,000. The cheapest way would be to find a 525iT with a blown trans, and a wrecked 525i sedan with a 5-speed. That's a pretty straightforward bolt-on swap. If you want more power, you can either get a supercharger for the 2.5l or transplant an E36 M3 motor/trans. Another option (and my personal favorite) is to start with a 530iT & drop in a 4.0l and 6-speed from a '95 540i sedan.

With option three, you'll probably have to look long and hard because if someone's gone through all the time/hassle/$$$ to do either import or convert a Touring, chances are that they're not going to let it go very easily.

Drew Zacharda
6-speed Touring
http://members.aol.com/apzjd/newavatar.jpg (http://www.bmwe34.net/ASP/DURegistry/RegDetail.asp?id=100)

Hi gang-

sbcncsu and I are old pals, we seriously go *way* back, and he directed me to your forum for my BMW questions.

I am soon to pay off my '95 Mustang GT, and wanted to move over to a vehicle that was more practical, better built, and still fun to drive. Therefore, I'm thinking 5-series wagon (touring). I haul a lot of band gear (including drums) and the additional cargo space would be wonderful to have, and I'm just not an SUV kinda guy.

I'd basically like to get a 5xx iT with a manual trans, with as big an engine as I can get. Unfortunately I have no real idea how these BMWS were optioned, as I am woefully ignorant of BMWs overall (though helping Scott with his 318 was actually a lot of fun.)

I figure, either I get a manual trans "big motored" BMW straightaway, or get one that has the possibility for a manual trans swap in the future (I understand that the 530i had a 5-speed, and I've seen references to 540 manual trans swaps?? Oh, the *thought* of it makes me grin) but essentially, I'd like to ask for your opinions and information on this plan.

Lastly, I'd like to keep the cost reasonable (I want to pay cash for the car), so bucks-up late models are out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

- J. Dock, future propellerhead

G Feller
02-05-2004, 10:16 AM
. . . an E34 540 6-speed Touring. Too damn bad this creature doesn't really exist in the US, because its straight-line performance is nearly identical to that of the Mustang GT.

Your only standard options are the 525 and 530 tourings, with the 530 obviously more powerful. Best option might be to pick up a nice manual 525 in good shape for a reasonable price, then transplant a more powerful engine into it (I'm obviously thinking the US E34 M5 engine, though I don't know how practical this might be and upkeep can be a bitch unless you're really into it). I think this could be done for roughly $15k total? Which is what I paid for my '95 6-speed sedan.

Sadly, there isn't a really practical option . . . I just looked on kbb.com and found that you can get a high-mileage E39 wagon ('99 was the first year they brought the 540 wagon to the US, but they still don't offer the 6-speed wagon here) for about $20k, but who puts 100k miles on a touring in 5 years?

You might have to forego a little of the performance you're used to for the utility factor. I'm thinking you could be very happy with a nice Alusil 530 with a performance chip. Barring extremely good fortune (i.e., picking up a used big-engine manual touring with the conversion already done), there's no way around a conversion to get the manual transmission you want in a powerful touring.

But you would sure get a lot of help with the project here if you choose to undertake it.

Good luck!

G Feller
02-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Major PITA! You would need a whole lot of patience, follow-up skills and stick-toitiveness (and probably at least one round-trip ticket to Germany) to get this done, but it would be sweet!

Elekta
02-05-2004, 03:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458048680&category=15317

Import this one....all wheel drive, 80k,

free translation...I see tow package and rear fogs...

The Fünfer Touring is conquered the parade example for the intelligent Kombi, with more and more market shares and hearts. The touring is on the millimeter equally long like the saloon car. A crazy highlight is open that the rear window! (Little purchase pockets or to tightly parked) so now to the beautiful cultivated ix; doubly-would push-elevated roof electrically, BMW LM-Gussrad BMW Styling, level regulation, outside temperature notice BMW radio business RDS, follower coupling with removable Kuggelkopf, fog floodlight, ABS, Metallic blackly, driver and Beifahrerairbag, electric window siphons, TÜV until 12.2005 with BMW CAR-guarantee. IT IS A GERMAN CAR. After auction envoy, the vehicle must be paid and picked up within 5 days. Vehicle can see become always. Joke bidders are accused on a costs lump sum in the amount of 25% the obtained proceeds. With your commandment duty, you confirm specifically forgo that you the exchange, claims or return, obligate yourself to the removal and acknowledge this as a contract

G Feller
02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458048680&category=15317

Import this one....all wheel drive, 80k,

free translation...I see tow package and rear fogs...

The Fünfer Touring is conquered the parade example for the intelligent Kombi, with more and more market shares and hearts. The touring is on the millimeter equally long like the saloon car. A crazy highlight is open that the rear window! (Little purchase pockets or to tightly parked) so now to the beautiful cultivated ix; doubly-would push-elevated roof electrically, BMW LM-Gussrad BMW Styling, level regulation, outside temperature notice BMW radio business RDS, follower coupling with removable Kuggelkopf, fog floodlight, ABS, Metallic blackly, driver and Beifahrerairbag, electric window siphons, TÜV until 12.2005 with BMW CAR-guarantee. IT IS A GERMAN CAR. After auction envoy, the vehicle must be paid and picked up within 5 days. Vehicle can see become always. Joke bidders are accused on a costs lump sum in the amount of 25% the obtained proceeds. With your commandment duty, you confirm specifically forgo that you the exchange, claims or return, obligate yourself to the removal and acknowledge this as a contract

DrewZ
02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
but with a slushbox. . .

1995 525iTa WBAHJ6320SGD25984 Blue/tan leather, 47k miles, custom built (by RennTECH) 4.4 w/Dinan Stage 3 supercharger, 540 5-spd automatic, Dinan sway bars, M5 brakes, E39 M5 wheels w/M1 tires. Excellent condition, very well maintained. Bike rack, car cover, included. $26,900 obo. 813 969-1449;chaddipple@hotmail.com. (FL)

Why would you do all those modifications without installing a 6-speed?

Drew Zacharda
6-speed Touring
http://members.aol.com/apzjd/newavatar.jpg (http://www.bmwe34.net/ASP/DURegistry/RegDetail.asp?id=100)

j_dock2
02-05-2004, 11:47 PM
OK, so based on what I see here:

I can get into a mid 90s 530iT for around $10,000 or so. That's good. I have seen some with Alusil blocks already installed/exchanged for that price. This is good.

Apparently the double sunroof is something I can't get away from; is this inherently bad? Should I look long and hard to find one without this feature? Or can this be lived with in some way?

Once I have a happy 530iT I can start shopping for a busted up 540i 6-speed, right? I take it that the 4 liter motor is preferrable. I mean, displacement is kEwL in and of itself, but those motors are newer and make more power, and bolt right in.

I think this is the plan. And I have a lot of time, since I need to pay off the Mustang (about a month or so) and then start saving.

I'm seriously excited. And yeah... Drew's *is* exactly what I want. :)

Thank you all so much.

j_dock2
02-06-2004, 12:01 AM
I discussed that with some of my fellow fanglers, and they seemed to think that the advantages of buying a 530 over a 525 were that some associated bits (like the brake m/c, etc) had already been relocated for the sake of the V8, saving a bit of trouble there. I've also heard that the 530 was somewhat less powerful (or rather, had a worse torque curve) than a VANOS 2.5 but I guess I could live with that for a time. Having a wagon would just be sooooo nice, and the idea of making it into a manual "540" is extremely appealing.

So, I have my work cut out for me. First the Mustang, then the 530, then I'll work on the 530s displacement and pedal deficiencies. :) Maybe a perf. chip in the interim for the 3.0, that's fine too.

Awesome, y'all!

- J. Dock, just a good ol' boy.

DrewZ
02-06-2004, 09:55 AM
At this point you should be able to find a really nice 530iT with alusil block for $10k or under -- especially if you're under no time constraints. I bought my 530iT four years ago with 97k and an alusil block for $13,900, so I figure the same car would probably go for around $10k today.

(knocking on wood) I've never had any problem with the sunroof(/knocking), and there was nothing in the prior owners' records about having it fixed. The only issue with the sunroof is that it can be rattly/squeaky at times. But it is really neat :) If you can find one with a non-operational sunroof (preferably in the closed position :)), you can use that as a bargaining tool to get the purchase price down. Then just pretend you have a no-sunroof car.

Once you've completed step one of the Zacharda Plan by getting a nice 530iT, you can then start on step two: finding a donor car. I was lucky enough to find a rare 540i Sport to use as a donor car. Lucky because 1) only 135 of them were ever made, and 2) they came with lots of ///M-stuff to sell off. The 4.0l motors are not newer than the 3.0l motors, but they produce more hp (282 vs. 215) and LOTS more torque (295 vs. 214), and they do bolt right in. (figuring out the electronic stuff is up to you or your mechanic).

If you can't find a donor 540, finding a donor 5-speed 530i sedan should be much easier. The 5-speed and the 6-speed have the same ratios in gears 1 through 5, but the 6-speed adds an overdrive gear (.83:1). You could do the 5-speed swap pretty cheaply, and you wouldn't need to swap the diff & half-shafts. If you wanted to add power to the 3.0l motor, there is a supercharger (http://www.esstuning.com/systems/108-46x.html) available for $6k that claims to boost power to 332hp.

Drew Zacharda
6-speed Touring

OK, so based on what I see here:

I can get into a mid 90s 530iT for around $10,000 or so. That's good. I have seen some with Alusil blocks already installed/exchanged for that price. This is good.

Apparently the double sunroof is something I can't get away from; is this inherently bad? Should I look long and hard to find one without this feature? Or can this be lived with in some way?

Once I have a happy 530iT I can start shopping for a busted up 540i 6-speed, right? I take it that the 4 liter motor is preferrable. I mean, displacement is kEwL in and of itself, but those motors are newer and make more power, and bolt right in.

I think this is the plan. And I have a lot of time, since I need to pay off the Mustang (about a month or so) and then start saving.

I'm seriously excited. And yeah... Drew's *is* exactly what I want. :)

Thank you all so much.

Mr Project
02-06-2004, 10:51 AM
I've got a decent manual 535i sedan, and I know of a 525iT with a blown tranny locally. My harebrained scheme is to end up with a 535iT 5-speed and a 525ia sedan to sell. Are there any issues with the M30 in a touring? I know it was never offered here, but I would think it would all swap in pretty easily.

DrewZ
02-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Shouldn't be too bad. There's a guy in our local CCA chapter that swapped an M5 driveline into a 525iT, so there shouldn't be anything preventing you from swapping in the 535i's driveline. How much is the blown-tranny 525iT going for?

I've got a decent manual 535i sedan, and I know of a 525iT with a blown tranny locally. My harebrained scheme is to end up with a 535iT 5-speed and a 525ia sedan to sell. Are there any issues with the M30 in a touring? I know it was never offered here, but I would think it would all swap in pretty easily.

paul p (chi-town)
02-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Drew has got this nut pretty much cracked.
As an owner of both M60 and M50 engined cars and having driven a vanos 525iA recently i do have some comments.

Even with it’s favorable torque curve a M50Vanos touring will be a step off of the pace of a small 8 car. Maybe a tiny advantage just off the line, but from anything faster than a jogging pace the 3.0L has it beat. The auto trans is a 5 speed vs. the 6’s 4sp.
Knowing what i know now tho i would have opted for a sixer touring and put up w/ the slower pace. For ultimate speed thrills i have the 3er and the Sentra (which is tentatively scheduled for a turbo come next winter). That is not the vagon’s role.

The v8s while wonderful engines are not BMWs forte. With the M62 version found in e39s some bugs were addressed but.......... I also cannot blame anyone for finding a 530T superior to a 525T, but in terms of increased operating costs and a more finnicky nature, the v8 is a minor pita.

If u are set on doing a manual conversion down the line then u might want to consider a 525. In it’s stock form it will be a little slo but anything between the simple addition of M3 cams to a full blown S50/52 hybrid manual swap can yield desired improvements. Plus people tend to roll M3s more frequently. All at a lower maintenance budget, 2 less plugs, coil packs, litres of oil in a change, etc, etc, etc.

If there is the possibility of your project stalling or taking detours then maybe a v8 is a better idea. As it stands, i find the thrust of a stock 530iT perfectly acceptable. I really never worry about the car getting out of it’s own way or even setting a seriously elevated pace on the highway in a big hurry. And it’s not even chipped yet. In terms of hp percentage available through this mod, the little 8 offers the greatest gains. It does have a higher compression ratio than the 4L to start too. If ultimate power gains are your goal then this is also the best starting point. While a little more exotic, swaps of the newer M62 v8 seem to be not that difficult either.

One thing is for sure, rearranging the architecture of the engine bay is the factor that can make the costs/difficulty skyrocket in a big hurry. You under no circumstance want to shove a v8 into a car that had a 6 in it, or vice versa. At that point you might as well import a M5T. I wouldn’t attempt either unless i was pulling down a 6 figure salary.......take home.

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/sign05.jpg (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i ….”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."--Robert H. Jackson.

paul p (chi-town)
02-06-2004, 11:45 AM
My harebrained scheme is to end up with a 535iT 5-speed andOK now this gets my attention. The most basic/easy to werk on e34 engine that will offer more torque than any stock configuration and prolly the lowest operating costs ($ and time) in the long run.
Is my frugality that obvious.

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i…….”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)

chris530it
02-06-2004, 12:55 PM
i have a 94 530it that i am selling in the next couple months. it is black on black with black windows. in amazing condition as i have always been a freak about it. i have replaced everything in the last couple years...you name it...and it is new. have spent over $10k. has new low profile yokohama tires, and 18" deep dish bmw rims. (rondell #58). they are 8.5" on the front, and 10" on the rear. i rarely see black on black, and this car looks bad ass. clear corners on front indicators and turn signals. bmw in dash cd player, double sunroof works flawlessly. the car is beautiful. let me know and i will send you pix if you are interested.

chris530it

Elekta
02-06-2004, 01:30 PM
i have a 94 530it that i am selling in the next couple months. it is black on black with black windows. in amazing condition as i have always been a freak about it. i have replaced everything in the last couple years...you name it...and it is new. have spent over $10k. has new low profile yokohama tires, and 18" deep dish bmw rims. (rondell #58). they are 8.5" on the front, and 10" on the rear. i rarely see black on black, and this car looks bad ass. clear corners on front indicators and turn signals. bmw in dash cd player, double sunroof works flawlessly. the car is beautiful. let me know and i will send you pix if you are interested.

chris530it

WE need to see this B on B tourer.

My indy is going to put an M3 motor in a wrecked 525iT he picked up...M3 cuz it's lighter were his words, plus he's intimate with the motor...put it in some 2002's and 3.0/2800 cs'

632 Regal
02-06-2004, 02:04 PM
At this point you should be able to find a really nice 530iT with alusil block for $10k or under -- especially if you're under no time constraints. I bought my 530iT four years ago with 97k and an alusil block for $13,900, so I figure the same car would probably go for around $10k today.

(knocking on wood) I've never had any problem with the sunroof(/knocking), and there was nothing in the prior owners' records about having it fixed. The only issue with the sunroof is that it can be rattly/squeaky at times. But it is really neat :) If you can find one with a non-operational sunroof (preferably in the closed position :)), you can use that as a bargaining tool to get the purchase price down. Then just pretend you have a no-sunroof car.

Once you've completed step one of the Zacharda Plan by getting a nice 530iT, you can then start on step two: finding a donor car. I was lucky enough to find a rare 540i Sport to use as a donor car. Lucky because 1) only 135 of them were ever made, and 2) they came with lots of ///M-stuff to sell off. The 4.0l motors are not newer than the 3.0l motors, but they produce more hp (282 vs. 215) and LOTS more torque (295 vs. 214), and they do bolt right in. (figuring out the electronic stuff is up to you or your mechanic).

If you can't find a donor 540, finding a donor 5-speed 530i sedan should be much easier. The 5-speed and the 6-speed have the same ratios in gears 1 through 5, but the 6-speed adds an overdrive gear (.83:1). You could do the 5-speed swap pretty cheaply, and you wouldn't need to swap the diff & half-shafts. If you wanted to add power to the 3.0l motor, there is a supercharger (http://www.esstuning.com/systems/108-46x.html) available for $6k that claims to boost power to 332hp.

Drew Zacharda
6-speed Touring

MikeV
02-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Joke bidders are accused on a costs lump sum in the amount of 25% the obtained proceeds.

j_dock2
02-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Well, that's pretty cool!

I don't know that if by the time you have the car for sale I'll have enough saved, however this is just the sort of thing I'd be looking for. Part of my swap/no swap decision (motor wise, at least) would have to do with my perceptions of the car as a driver. I've never driven a 530iT so it could be absolutely wonderful by my seat-o-the-pants meter, or it could be a dog. (Anyone in central Texas care to let me find out on their 530s? [crickets chirping] Didn't think so... :))

I *know* I want a manual. It'd be real swell to follow Drew's plan. The nice thing, is I can take my time and gather parts while I drive what is sure to be a fun car, just with the 3.0 and automagic trans.

So, lemme gather up my coin, and who knows? By the time I need to buy, you may already have an automatic buyer. :) And yes, I'd like to see pics...

paul p (chi-town)
02-06-2004, 02:53 PM
I've never driven a 530iT so it could be absolutely wonderful by my seat-o-the-pants meter, or it could be a dog.
gather parts while I drive what is sure to be a fun car, just with the 3.0 and automagic trans.I remember Drew mentioning his drive to drop off the 530 for it’s conversion. How he was fully enjoying the stock setup’s punch in the midrange.
A healthy small 8 ain’t no dog. Just the most naturally sporting wagon in stock form there is. For a slushbox the 5sp isn't that bad. Needs a pistol grip for it to be usable manualy tho. Sport mode does kill the mileage too (13mpg *rolleyes*) but it really helps responsiveness round town. The 3er or the SE-R (once the salt/sno is gone) get daily driver duty. That's how i can put up w/ it.
Just get out there and drive some e34s period, you’ll get the idea. Find a 530iA and dump 300lbs in the trunk. =P

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i…….”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)

DrewZ
02-06-2004, 03:25 PM
I do remember (fondly) numerous runs from 65 to 100 on the way out to OH. That's where the 3.0l/auto felt the best -- the 5th-to-3rd kickdown from highway speed. . . AND I got 28mpg on the 3.0l's farewell tour (http://community.webshots.com/album/39635340GLeBqK).

I remember Drew mentioning his drive to drop off the 530 for it’s conversion. How he was fully enjoying the stock setup’s punch in the midrange.
A healthy small 8 ain’t no dog. Just the most naturally sporting wagon in stock form there is. For a slushbox the 5sp isn't that bad. Needs a pistol grip for it to be usable manualy tho. Sport mode does kill the mileage too (13mpg *rolleyes*) but it really helps responsiveness round town. The 3er or the SE-R (once the salt/sno is gone) get daily driver duty. That's how i can put up w/ it.
Just get out there and drive some e34s period, you’ll get the idea. Find a 530iA and dump 300lbs in the trunk. =P

Mr Project
02-06-2004, 03:59 PM
OK now this gets my attention. The most basic/easy to werk on e34 engine that will offer more torque than any stock configuration and prolly the lowest operating costs ($ and time) in the long run.
Is my frugality that obvious.

I know my frugality is obvious. :)

It seems like the ideal budget swap...the easiest, cheapest, and easiest-to-modify E34 powerplant in the touring body, and it should just drop right into a 525iT! A big plus for me since I already have a good drivetrain in my car.

The 525iT here isn't for sale, it's in a mechanic's back lot as a future car to fix and sell. He's a family friend, so I'm hoping I could talk him out of it as-is if I came up with a little cash.

My cheap brain says I could be into a 535iT and actually make some money by creating a 525ia from the parts and selling it for $4k.

paul p (chi-town)
02-06-2004, 06:20 PM
It seems like the ideal budget swap...the easiest, cheapest, and easiest-to-modify E34 powerplant in the touring body, Uh yeah........was it winfred that said, ‘we throw away more perfectly good M30s........’

j_dock2
04-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Just a quick update... I *did* pay off the '95 Mustang GT, oh about a month ago.

And I put down a deposit on a BMW... but not quite what we discussed...

It's a 1982 BMW R65LS. It only has two wheels. :)

Soon, my friends... I'm saving up for the Touring even as we speak.

sbcncsu
04-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Just a quick update... I *did* pay off the '95 Mustang GT, oh about a month ago.

And I put down a deposit on a BMW... but not quite what we discussed...

It's a 1982 BMW R65LS. It only has two wheels. :)

Soon, my friends... I'm saving up for the Touring even as we speak.

You are headed in the right direction...

Guess what???

I'm a daddy!

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/sbcncsu/100_0018_1.jpg

Her name is Isabelle Louise. She is already daddy's little girl!

MicahO
04-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Of course, I was doing the work for two.....

http://www.bimmernut.com/~micah/images/variousbmw/HaulWreck1.jpg

Then again, the BEST that van ever gets is about 15mpg anyway I load it up. But it can tow a damn house!

Dayamn - remember when we stopped for gas and found that the shredded sheetmetal up front had torn through one of the two wheel tie-downs? That could have made for some fun......

;)

j_dock2
04-05-2004, 01:46 PM
You are headed in the right direction...

Guess what???

I'm a daddy!

Her name is Isabelle Louise. She is already daddy's little girl!

Wow dude! Congratulations. You went and made a Junior Council. Lawyers always need more of those. :)

Jake
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
[color=indigo]
One thing is for sure, rearranging the architecture of the engine bay is the factor that can make the costs/difficulty skyrocket in a big hurry. You under no circumstance want to shove a v8 into a car that had a 6 in it, or vice versa. At that point you might as well import a M5T. I wouldn’t attempt either unless i was pulling down a 6 figure salary.......take home.

I just read this thread and I think Paul sums it up best. Now seriously, anything is possible but we're talking about a major adventure converting a 6cyl E34 into an 8cyl. It isn't fitting the engine that's difficult, that's the easiest part of the process. All these engines "slot" in. But... making them work, now that's where things get extremely frustrating.

Same thing goes for auto to manual conversions. It would prove much easier to start out with a manual gearbox if possible. Again, the gearbox will slot in just fine. But dealing with the pedal box, firewall, electronics... yuck!

My advice would be to find a manual 530iT and drop in a 4.0L. That's as easy as it gets. All the ancillaries are the same, all plumbing, engine mounts ect... it's all the same.

I'm actually in the process of "re" converting my 530iT. Long story... Basically I am just like you J Dock. I've gotta have my fun but I need a daily driver capable of some serious haul'n. I've had 4 E34's over the past 5 years and each one has been a project of some sort. I played with this and that and now I'm getting a bit more serious with my E34 obsession.

I went out and found a nice '93 530iT with a 5spd and had plans to drop in a 4.0L. Oddly enough, after I bought it I found that someone had actually already done an engine conversion! (They're identical). However they didn't fully complete the conversion as they left the 3.0L intake, exhaust, and ECU installed. Bummer, but an easy fix.

Anyway, so that was my solution. Find a manual 3.0L and just install a 4.0L. It's probably the easiest "major" project most can tackle themselves. Other than that, going from a 6 to an 8, or an auto to a manual, I wouldn't want any part of it. Again its entirely possible but it really is a HUGE endeavor.

There are other options of course. The next easiest solution would be a 525iT manual with a supercharger. You could extract the same power while still maintaining the 6cyl's ease of maintenance. Bags of fun that can be done in stages. If I lived in the states this would probably be my choice. I do like the V8 very much and I'd maybe step it up to a 3.0L/manual, but a supercharged 525iT 5spd would be hard to beat.

My 2 cents,
Jake Larsen

j_dock2
04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
My advice would be to find a manual 530iT and drop in a 4.0L.
Well... I'm not sure they made that brand of animal here, or I'd be all over it.

The current plan is to find a decent 530iT (or 540iT if the price is right) and proceed from there.

Swappage/labor doesn't worry me as much as the price of parts does.

Once I get the Touring, I'll then have to look around, price things out, and see what makes the most sense. I do think I'll be in better shape no matter what if I go ahead and get a V8 car, since those have the master cylinder relocation sussed out from the factory.

Oh, and if someone does spot a 530iT with a manual trans... please lemme know. :)

Jake
04-05-2004, 03:23 PM
There are other options of course. The next easiest solution would be a 525iT manual with a supercharger.

Hmmm... now that I think of it. Where there any manual e34 Tourings in the States?

Jake Larsen

Jake
04-05-2004, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=j_dock2]My advice would be to find a manual 530iT and drop in a 4.0L. Well... I'm not sure they made that brand of animal here, or I'd be all over it.QUOTE]

Whoops, didn't see your post before I sent mine. Damn, no E34 Tourings with a manual? That sucks a bit... :(

Jake Larsen

DrewZ
04-05-2004, 03:46 PM
The first Touring in the US with a manual trans was the E39 528iT. All US E34 525iTs and 530iTs had automatics. (Hell, they didn't even offer us an automatic version of the E34 540iT :( )

Drew Zacharda
6-speed Touring

Hmmm... now that I think of it. Where there any manual e34 Tourings in the States?

Jake Larsen