PDA

View Full Version : A/C condensor replacement

RayC.
07-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Any tips on replacing the a/c condensor? Can it be done without removing the bumper?

Thanks,

-Ray
'94 525ia

GilesL
07-20-2004, 06:21 AM
It can be done, it's a bit of a bastard though. I did mine by removing the radiator, and some of the lower bumper trim. You need a freind to help you lift the rad in and out as it'll be tough for you alone.

Giles

callen
07-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Replaced mine a couple weeks ago and I removed bumper....don't know how you could get it out without......had to take the aux fan off first to get clearance to drop the condenser...also the bumper is really easy to take off.....20 minutes max.

Callen 91 535i 94 530i 89 735il

Mr Project
07-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Replaced mine a couple weeks ago and I removed bumper....don't know how you could get it out without......had to take the aux fan off first to get clearance to drop the condenser...also the bumper is really easy to take off.....20 minutes max.

Callen 91 535i 94 530i 89 735il

Yeah, removing the bumper is WAY easier than draining and filling/bleeding the cooling system to pull out the radiator. Plus, I don't know how you would EVER get those lines disconnected with the bumper cover in the way. I just did this on Saturday (getting ready for 134a retrofit) :

Remove fan and shroud
Remove radiator clips
Tilt radiator back, leaving coolant hoses connected.
Remove grill (probably optional)
Remove bumper cover (4 nuts under the black trim and some wires)
Disconnect lines going into/out of condensor 17mm and 19mm wrenches, IIRC. Soak them in pb blaster or something, mine were a BEAR to remove
Remove electric 'pusher' fan from condensor (won't fit with fan installed unless you remove the radiator)
Lift condensor out through the top.