PDA

View Full Version : hey im new and need help!

bimmer84
07-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Well a cuple of days ago gave me a 84 bmw 318i. at the time it wouldnt run, i determined the problem to be a bad in tank feul pump. so i replaced it and now the car runs but not for long.when i first start it it goes to about 2000 rpms stays ther for a bit then it starts to drop and then dies we ajusted the idle and that seems to be unresponsive at all. could this be a problem with the motronics ecu ro maybe somthing else . any input is apreciated.

thanks in advance derrek

winfred
07-13-2004, 01:00 AM
kind of hard to say, id go though a bently type book with a multi meter and start checking and adjusting and cleaning, start with the basics, tune up, clean/adjust throttle body (to what the book says) and idle cont valve, make sure that the tps is sending the closed throttle signal to the computer otherwise the idle circuit will remain off, temp sensor resistance, air leaks, clogged fuel filter, incorect timing........

BCOOK2
08-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Also Check The Intake Hose For Tears/cracks Etc.

Geoff Hoad
08-09-2004, 11:40 PM
For a start you don't have a Motorotronics ECU in that model. There is actually an idle computer although computer is a generous term for a box full of diodes. No chip, nothing. Its part of what is called an "L Jetronic" system. L Jetronic is the work of the devil. If you don't have one get a Bentley's and do the diagnostics yourself. Otherwise, take it to a BMW technician to sort out. It is even possible the idle computer may have had it also. But don't make that assumption. Do the basics like look for bad hoses etc. Air leaks really throw the system out.

When you get it going you will find out its a great little car.

Good luck.

mrbmw1
08-11-2004, 10:01 AM
check the intake hoses where it bends under the bottom & where the lines go into it that was my problem & did you bow out the fuel lines & change the fuel filters