PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry Remote Programming

bmw530istyle
02-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Hello All:

I have either lost or broken my last two keyless entry remotes in the past few months and am tired of paying $120 for one. I recently have purchased a used one on Ebay with identical numbers on back of remote. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW I NEED TO GO ABOUT PROGRAMMING THIS TO WORK ON MY PARTICULAR VEHICLE? I have 1995 BMW 530I Sedan. Thanks for any help!!!

CK

rickm
02-03-2004, 11:04 PM
You might get more results if you post this in the BMW E34 Board, this forum is more for comments and questions about the new forum.

bmw530istyle
02-03-2004, 11:36 PM
You might get more results if you post this in the BMW E34 Board, this forum is more for comments and questions about the new forum.
Thanks, new to this format.

Unregistered
02-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Unscrew the back of the remote and take the the small chip out. Take the back seat off and you will find a security control unit on the driver's side. Unscrew the two screws that hold the unit to the car. Flip the control unit up-side-down and you will see a small door. Open it and you will see a small slot for the chip you took out from the remote. Insert the chip (chip side down or printed side up). Press the reset button net to the slot. That's it. Take the chip out and put it back into the remote and it should work!

Hello All:

I have either lost or broken my last two keyless entry remotes in the past few months and am tired of paying $120 for one. I recently have purchased a used one on Ebay with identical numbers on back of remote. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW I NEED TO GO ABOUT PROGRAMMING THIS TO WORK ON MY PARTICULAR VEHICLE? I have 1995 BMW 530I Sedan. Thanks for any help!!!

CK

winfred
02-18-2004, 10:49 PM
early alpine alarm units don't do that, you have a chip in the remote and a chip in the box, if it don't have a button it's a early one

InfernoM3
10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
early alpine alarm units don't do that, you have a chip in the remote and a chip in the box, if it don't have a button it's a early one
I believe I have the early alpine alarm as mentioned on my 92 535i. There is no reset button in the alarm module box but there was a prexistent chip when I opened it. I bought a 3 button remote from ebay and it also has a chip in it that I was suppose to reprogram. How do I get them to work togetehr now. I tried to follow instructions like insert key in ignition 1. then place remote chip in alarm module socket, then replace it back in remote, but did not work. Can I use this remote w/ the my existing alarm module????

winfred
10-21-2004, 07:41 PM
I believe I have the early alpine alarm as mentioned on my 92 535i. There is no reset button in the alarm module box but there was a prexistent chip when I opened it. I bought a 3 button remote from ebay and it also has a chip in it that I was suppose to reprogram. How do I get them to work togetehr now. I tried to follow instructions like insert key in ignition 1. then place remote chip in alarm module socket, then replace it back in remote, but did not work. Can I use this remote w/ the my existing alarm module????

PhilipJCaputo
10-21-2004, 09:20 PM
did this post get moved??

Bill in MA
10-21-2004, 09:28 PM
There is no way to "program" them. You need to get a set of matching chips (one for the remote and one for the control unit beneath the rear seat). That was the only way I could get the setup in my 92 535i functional again.

Had to go to the stealer and get a chip set.

Bill

Drooby
10-21-2004, 10:18 PM
is there a way to program the factory alarm to flash the lights while honking/chirping ?

PhilipJCaputo
10-21-2004, 10:44 PM
I've a 95 530 as well.... you can probably take the chip outa your remote stick it in the unit under the back seat and program it... thats how what I did it!

InfernoM3
10-22-2004, 01:29 AM
There is no way to "program" them. You need to get a set of matching chips (one for the remote and one for the control unit beneath the rear seat). That was the only way I could get the setup in my 92 535i functional again.

Bill
Hi Bill, this was the information I was kinda looking for. so you have a 92 535i as well. Do you hve a one button remote or 3 button. I purchased a 3 button one. If I buy the chipset from the stealer, can i use in the 3 button or do I also have to purchase the one button remote? Can you give me some details on the chipset? Where you got it? How much and a part number. I can't seem to find this information anywhere and it would be a big help. I've been trying to get this alarm working for the past month. thanks.

rreimund
02-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead... What was the outcome on this?
I've got a one button remote, and just spent $30 on ebay for a used spare, but from the looks of it, it seems I may need to get a set of three chips (one for each remote, the new, the old, and one for the module under the seat. Is that correct? Anyone have any idea what that would run me from the stealer?

rreimund
02-09-2006, 05:13 PM
anyone?

03-01-2006, 06:44 PM
i dont mean to butt in, but i;m having the same remote keyfob programming problem w/my '95 540i sedan. are the 540 and 530 that much different. there is no 'chip' as you mention in the alarm box under the rear seat on the drivers side. the box is there however, yet i took it apart and all it contains are non-removable microchips and a relay etc... there is also no reset button as you mentioned. any help would be greatly appreciated...the dealer wants to order me a new alarm box (DWA module) for $450.
thanks

danielbritt
03-01-2006, 10:15 PM
does anyone know how to re-program the remote that is attached to a 1995 540i key? my wife got stuck with a flaky alarm (outside a jewelry shop) and they screwed it up by keeping the batteries out too long...

Bill R.
03-01-2006, 11:27 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/keysinitialization.jpg

does anyone know how to re-program the remote that is attached to a 1995 540i key? my wife got stuck with a flaky alarm (outside a jewelry shop) and they screwed it up by keeping the batteries out too long...

NJHokie
09-12-2006, 12:57 PM

Bill

Bringing this thread back again... winfred helped me out a little on this subject already and your post Bill relates...

i just purchased an aftermarket key fob from keylessride.com. that set comes with the transmitter, already programmed, with a matching chip you place in the bmw alarm control module under the seat. this should act the same way as the replacement chip set and remote you would order through bmw or bavauto.

my question is, is there a reset procedure for the chip replacement method (no reset button) or should it just 'work' when you next turn the car on or press the transmitter buttons? should the alarm module be removed from power, then reconnected?

i may just have another underlying problem like a busted control module or no power to the unit, who knows. anyone that has experience with this matter please chime in.
thanks.
-Nick

NJHokie
09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Update:
Just went out and tried something. With the new chip in the CU, I disconnected the cable to the alarm CU, turned the key to pos 2, plugged the cable back in, and now it works. I don't think its fully functional though because the panic button and double lock button do not respond. I'll have to fiddle around some more.
The good thing is now I can lock/unlock the car w/ a remote and not have to use the key all the time. Hopefully I can get the other functions to work.
Hope this helps some people out.

cliff notes: to reset an older alarm control brain, unplug it for a while, turn key on (pos 2), then plug it back in, remove key, and try remote.

ricola
09-12-2006, 01:42 PM

First, Anyone that has a used key fob, I could use one. P.O. must have kept them.

then: from my owners manual, the proceedure for replacing the battery ans restoring the security and locking:

Initializing the Transmitter:

Transmitter initializing is necessary after renewing the transmitter battery (not necessary if this takes less than one minuteand none of the buttons are pushed) or if a new transmitter has been obtained:

- Close the drivers door, turn the ignition key to position 1 for a short period (max. 5 seconds) and then back to position 0.

- press button 3 (see picture) (( the picture shows the key pointing at the rear view mirror, buttons up and button one being the roundel, button 2 being on the right and button 3 being on the left )) then hold it, then - press
botton 1 three times within 10 seconds while button 3 is still depressed.

Double locking system engages and releases immediately showing the completed initializing procedure.

Repeat the procedure if the LED is not flashing or the central locking system is not working

Note:
If the door is not closed, the initializing can be done once but for further initializing a BMW dealer has to reset the system.

Within 30 seconds, all transmitters used for the vehicle (up to four are possible) must also be initialized. During this period do not switch on the ignition.

ricola
09-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Did you get the remote working?

NJHokie
09-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Did you get the remote working?

I didn't get a chance to try out your procedure on my aftermarket remote yet to get the other functions working but I will.

Can you describe the button numbers in more detail? 1,2,3. i know you said button 1 is the roundel which i assume corrolates to lock/unlock. what do button 2 and button 3 do on your remote? double lock/panic respectively?

thanks man.