PDA

View Full Version : Studdering when cold

Longhorn J
06-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey all, its been awhile, ive been working, but i do enjoy reading the posts. Anyways, my problem is this. Every morning when i start my car, and i press the accelerator, the car hicups BAD. As in, i go for half throttle and the engine studders and the car bairly accelerates. This problem goes away in about 1 minute and never returns till the car has sat for a long time (like over night). Just had some work done, like a tune up, valve job, and oil change (including changing to synthetic oil). Could this be the problem, or maybe o2 sensor (hasnt been replaced in awhile). The car is a 90 525i.

Thanks,
Jason

phildg2000
06-27-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm no expert but it sounds like a bad temperature sensor. Seems like the computer does not receive a signal that the engine is cold and so does not compensate with more fuel.

Philip
'89 525i

Dan in NZ
06-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Mine does exactly the same thing, I'll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully we'll see if we can sort it out. At my varsity parking space, I have to drive over a concrete thing about 3" high to get out, first thing in the morning it's impossible to drive smoothly over it so I end up lurching over it (even crunched the trans pan once, ouch!)

MotoMan
06-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey there Longhorn, Have a very similar prob. M50 engine 285k Most noticeable when cold is that stuttering almost like a missfire. Mine is at about 2250 rpm to abt 2700, on light throttle (mostly) I hope too that someone may be able to assist all 4 of us....

Longhorn J
06-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys for the replys, hopefully someone has a solution to this seemingly common problem, i guess its on to plug and chug.