PDA

View Full Version : Boosting a E30 M3

diggum
06-21-2004, 12:14 PM
I've been searching for anyone that has boosted a E30 M3 so I can pick there brain. I've had some tell me that boosting the E30 M3 is stupid(WTF! is all I could say).

diggum
06-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Anyone

winfred
06-21-2004, 11:30 PM
define boosting, upping the power/jumping a dead battery/stealing.....

jplacson
06-23-2004, 04:31 AM
Boosting? as in jump starting?

Or boosting as in souping up? .. ya, some purists don't see the point in souping up an M3. Others just can't handle a 325, so maxing out an M3 is something they can't comprehend.

Guy in the BMW Club here has a maxed out E30 M3. Shrick cams, headers, exhaust, new differetial, etc. he can match an E36 M3 Evo on the tracks. Although he idles at like 1,500~2,000 rpm... though it sounds good. hehehehe

Robbo
06-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Or boosting as in "borrowing" the car without the owners knowledge?

diggum
06-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Or boosting as in "borrowing" the car without the owners knowledge?
Hmmm...okay, how about spooling a M3, turboing a M3, you know...making it go faster? I'd appreciate any help and sorry for not simplifying it for some of ya.

jplacson
06-27-2004, 12:57 AM
read my reply above.

I'd stay away from turbos if I were you, robs too much from low end speed. This is why BMW has stayed away from turbos, except on their diesels.

You can supercharge it if you want, should have better over-all performance. But if you just really want top-end speed, and don't care much for acceleration, then turbo is the way to go. Some guy over here NOSed his Z3. You could try that as well.

AllanS
06-27-2004, 02:59 PM
They're essentially correct for a couple of reasons; the s14 is a high compression (10.51:1) engine, and would therefore require extensive engine work (new/redished pistons to lower comp. ratio) in order to support a lot of boost without seriously retarding timing. Given that, you'd probably need to invest in a standalone engine management system and some dyno time with someone who knows what they're doing, in order to do it properly. It'd be easier and cheaper to buy a 325i and turbocharge that, which many have done, although with enough time and money, you very well could turbo the s14 properly.

Furthermore, the engine itself takes up a lot of room in the engine compartment, which would make turbo placement difficult.

There's also the fact that the engine is a superb piece of engineering, and a turbo would (to some) ruin said engine, aesthetically at least. It's also not cheap to replace a head or block if you get some pre-detonation and a valve punches a hole though your oil pan.

diggum
06-27-2004, 09:48 PM
They're essentially correct for a couple of reasons; the s14 is a high compression (10.51:1) engine, and would therefore require extensive engine work (new/redished pistons to lower comp. ratio) in order to support a lot of boost without seriously retarding timing. Given that, you'd probably need to invest in a standalone engine management system and some dyno time with someone who knows what they're doing, in order to do it properly. It'd be easier and cheaper to buy a 325i and turbocharge that, which many have done, although with enough time and money, you very well could turbo the s14 properly.

Furthermore, the engine itself takes up a lot of room in the engine compartment, which would make turbo placement difficult.

There's also the fact that the engine is a superb piece of engineering, and a turbo would (to some) ruin said engine, aesthetically at least. It's also not cheap to replace a head or block if you get some pre-detonation and a valve punches a hole though your oil pan.
I understand the concept of spooling a motor and have built many, many 2.0L 16v 9a VW motors for boost as well. I know the E30 M3 kicks ass for a high compression 4 cylinder. I just havn't seen many s14 bmw motors spooled with a turbo. Just wondered why? Many have said to ditch my efforts on spooling a s14 M3 and find myself a E30 325is and spool it. Besides, finding a 325is would be a bit cheaper on the pocket than a decent E30 M3. Thanks for all the info guys. Remember...the only replacement for displacement is modern technology, i.e. turbos. Thumbs high. :D And I've never in all my years seen a "valve" punch a hole through an oil pan?

AllanS
06-27-2004, 09:53 PM
I've never seen a valve do that either, but I've seen pictures of holes in oil pans attributed to either valves or conrods, and I'm not one to question someone about it.

diggum
06-28-2004, 09:07 AM
I've never seen a valve do that either, but I've seen pictures of holes in oil pans attributed to either valves or conrods, and I'm not one to question someone about it.
I've seen holes in blocks and oil pans from rods...never a valve but hey...there's always a first.

AllanS
06-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Or a never, as you could very well be correct. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, nor the last.