PDA

View Full Version : M60 intake theorization

Frank87
02-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Situation:
- Great running M60B30 engine
- Consumes 1 litre of oil per 10.000 km (sounds fine to me)

Currently has:
- Stock M60B30 intake
- Stock M60B30 throttle body
- Stock M60B30 MAF

I plan on:
- Using a M60B40 intake
- Using a M60B40 throttle body
- Using a M60B40 MAF

Today I had some spare time and fit the bigger MAF. Bolts right on. I have correctly placed the MAF with thinner rubber rings (due to the increased diameter) and I had no air leaks. The result was a noticeable loss of power. The car did not become extremely slow but I did lose some power in low and high rpms. To me this does not make sense as the only parts I replaced are:
- The MAF
- The Upper air filter box
Since everything was sealed correctly, there were no air leaks. I think the MAF itself may be old and inaccurate. Since the M60B30 MAF is almost new, a negative difference could have something to do with an old MAF that gives inaccurate readings.

What I would like to know, is what I can expect when I swap to B40 parts and buy a brand new 4.0 MAF. I am even thinking of using a M62B44 throttle body. It is said that the actual throttle valve of the M62 variant is thinner allowing more air to enter the intake. The B40 MAF will set me back about 180 euro's which I can also spend on other stuff.

Would I get:
- More HP & TRQ across the whole rev range?
- More in the upper range?
- More in the lower range?

genphreak
02-14-2016, 04:09 AM
The larger B40 intake surely assumes larger intake ports in the heads?

I am just postulating that B30 are smaller... but BMW would have done all it takes to make the B30 the economical version as they are the same block and they needed to differentiate them on consumption as well as performance. It could be that adding more intake capacity increases consumption and/or reduces power. I'd suggest going to a 4.7L M62 with dual vanos etc. if you want mo po fo yo hard earned!

The best cheap option would be to ask Mark if he can make an EAT chip (http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm) for yours.

For M60B40 there are both 95 and 98 versions, maybe even a 100 one by now- and he may well know what to do for the B30 even if he hasn't got one.
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm)

632 Regal
02-14-2016, 05:16 AM
Simple... over carburated (old school talk). The 3 litre is already 'carbed' quite large, which you can see by holding a lower gear and using half - 3/4 throttle. It has the same pull as full throttle until around 6K rpm. If you think you lost a bit of low to mid HP with just the MAF just wait til you throw on the bigger throttle body and intake.

One of the mods the 4.0 litre folks do is use the small runner 3.0 litre intakes!

You will get no gain going the route you are looking at, you will lose all the way through sorry to say. No chip or programming will help either.

The absolute best bang for buck would be replace the 3 with a 4 using all the 3 litres intake system. The trans can handle it within reason and everything is bolt together.