PDA

View Full Version : 1988 BMW 735i - Interesting different and mine.

RandalLovelace
12-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Ok, so I bought an old 735i - and much of the 'extras' don't work, heck for that matter I've yet to get any of the windows to work (but that is due to my long day schedule that I work)...

Shogun - HI!

Anyway - the good:
Engine runs great (I will have it tuned next month)
Transmission shifts nicely (auto), and all of the 'modes' work as well (and as soon as I found this out my wife informed that if she ever gets in and it's in S she's gonna beat my azz. (so no sport mode when she will be anywhere near the car)... I can live with that.
Other than the drivers seat, the leather is in good shape. (Drivers seat has however some work to be done... )
The front seats move properly (electric) and the heat works (I was shocked by this).
All of the lights work (though the passenger high beam lens is badly cracked).
The fog lights work.
Has a decent Kenwood in the dash. (more on that below).
Has the stock alloys and the full size spare is on a matching alloy (slightly yellowed - but hey I can probably clean that.. I hope).

And - the bad:
Drivers seat.
A/C - mind of it's own (Shogon has told me how to - and when time and money are at hand for that it will do it's thing properly at my command).... (it's like having an old dog.... gotta teach them those new tricks).
The Windows... yeah I've been tracing power on that... the center cluster switch has power - and it sends power out on all switches for both up and down. - I get to take all four doors apart. ya.
That Kenwood... it's works - sometimes, it literally turns off and on when ever it wants to (I'm thinking some bunk wired it - so yeah, when I have time I get to pull that out and find what they've done in the dash... should be an adventure - I'll take photos and such).

The Ugly:
The paint - although an awesome color for the car is in horrific shape.
The carpet - yeah I'll either have to scrub for days or replace it...
The shimmy/shake/vibration - I get to replace 1/2 the front end... upper and lower are shot on passenger, upper is shot on drivers, and the front struts and springs are at the 'bouncy' stage... (I tell ya it's still fun to drive)... scary but fun.

So, yeah, that's my DD and my project...

I'll be bringing it back to stock and such then I'll do what I always do, make it faster, tighter, and lower.
(Lower will happen sooner than the rest of the stuff as I have that front end to do - might as well do the rear too, right)...7947

BMWFatherFigure
02-09-2014, 07:49 AM
I love both my E32's. An under rated car if ever there was one. Fixing them is a trial I know but driving them is sooooooo good - makes you forget the bad times...