PDA

View Full Version : injector errors after rocker cover gasket and plug renewal

Marcusd
08-19-2012, 04:25 AM
Hi all, I'm getting to the end of the list of jobs that needed doing to my 2000 E38 740i, which I bought on the cheap, knowing it would need a good going through to get it up to scratch.

So far it's had a new radiator, trans heat exchanger "voltage regulator"/coolant bypass valve, belts, trans oil, filter and wiring harness change, sway bar drop link and lower control arms. Still got the fan clutch to do as I can stop the fan with my hand, it's that weak!

One of the last jobs is to fix the oil leak from the rocker covers, and change the plugs whilst the coil packs are off. I have now changed the gaskets and put it all back together. It didn't want to run very well at first, which I put down to oil from the plug wells getting in the cylinder and fouling the plugs. After taking the plugs out and turning over a few times before putting clean plugs back in I now have it running, but not on all cylinders.

It's a UK car with an LPG conversion and runs fine when the LPG kicks in but when on Petrol fuel, it still won't run on all cylinders.

INPA throws up fuel injector errors 150 on cyl1, 155 on cyl3, 157 on cyl2, 153 on cyl8 and 156 on cyl7.

When I removed the eboxes, which was a pain trying to remove the injector clips with a sharpened coat hanger, one of the clips stayed attached to the injector on cyl7 and one of the wires with spade connector popped out. This has been popped back in and lifting the lid on the ebox, it looks like all injectors are connected back up properly.

The cylinders mentioned were the ones with the worst oil leaks and were the ones where the plugs looked wet, which I was outting down to the oil that leaked in when the old plugs were removed.

It does sound like the pretrol injectors as it runs fine when it switches over to LPG from petrol, I just can't see how I managed to cause an issue on both banks - I wasn't that heavy handed! It also seems strange that the errors are on the cylinders where most oil would have got in.

I've taken it for a drive and things are still the same, once on LPG it runs perfectly, but until thevLPG kicks in and it is running on petrol it isn't firing on all cylinders.

Has anyone got any ideas on what might be cuasing these multiple injector errors? Any idea why getting oil into the cylinders might cause petrol injector errors? Cheers, Marcus

Marcusd
08-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Aha, got it!

Even though the electrical connectors looked like they were seated all the way home, the retaining clips were actually stopping them from seating.
I popped the injector electrical clips off again, loosened the eboxes and pushed down harder.

Your could hear the click when they seated properly!

Just got the viscous fan to do later today, a small fluid leak from the bottom hose connector of the power steering fluid reservior and then I've got to work out why it clonks like a diesel for the first couple of seconds when it starts up in the morning!

That's brightened my day up a bit!