PDA

View Full Version : Guibo Replacement - Drop or remove exhaust?

caf2461
06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Replacing Guibo this weekend and driveshaft center bearing on my 95 GM Automatic.

I have searched this and there is opinions all over the board on what to do with the exhaust.
1) Remove exhaust at manifold per my ever sacred Bentley manual
2) Seperate the exhaust at converter to get to heat sheild per this unusual video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZW5nLqZHPM
3) Drop the exhaust & leave it connected per e34.net
BMW E34 Website (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Transmission/CenterBearing.htm)

Many comments about how easy it is to remove the exhaust but my car has rust problems and has been through 15 PA winters so nothing under the car that is easy to remove. The exhaust is original.

Don't know if I am obsessing about this job or procrastinating....

Please advise/vote on above 3 options.

PS I want to thank everyone for all the helpful information on this site - It is by far the best and most informative site for any vehicle ever!

632 Regal
06-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Just drop it. It's pretty heavy and will be in your way. It is do-able just dropping it but not real proficient.

caf2461
06-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I started out trying option 3 - dropping exhaust and leaving it connected. This did not leave enough room to remove the driveshaft to replace middle and front bearing. Then went to option 1 - remove exhaust per Bentley by seperating it at the header. In the process of trying to do this the exhaust was hung up on cross member and I did not have enough wiggle room to pull it out with the car on jack stands. I was trying to figure this all out when I looked to see I had more than enough room now to pull the drive shaft out with the exhaust hanging down disconnected from the header.

This job is sort of a pain. To save time I probably should have just replaced the Guibo only. I could have done this by dropping the exhaust and leaving it connected just let the driveshaft lay on top of the exhaust. Center and front bearing looked fine.

whiskychaser
06-03-2012, 03:43 PM
6 nuts on the exhaust manifold, 2 on the back box, 2 on the tranny bracket. You are LHD so probably dont have the 3 more on the heat shield. Unhook from the hangers and drag the lot out from underneath and give your self space. Replacement is the reverse of removal as a certain workshop manual is wont to say.