PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been around for a while but thinking of buying another BMW. Any advice?

BobHarris
04-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi All

I haven't been on the sight since my 530 T died of head gasket failure a few years back.

I am thinking of getting an X3 2.0D and wandered if anyone had any horror stories or advice on what to look out for. I loved my E34 but the X3 is as near as I can get that I would be able to get in and out of with my back injury.

Paul in NZ
04-03-2012, 04:40 AM
you will like the little 2.0 d I have a 120d now and the thing has more urge than the 535 over the 2-4 k rev range.And uses half the fuel.The only thing i have heard about the diesel is the swirl flaps can break loose and get ingested into the engine.You can buy small blanking plates ,remove the flaps and plug the resulting holes.Google it.I dont know how much of a problem it is.

BobHarris
04-03-2012, 04:56 PM
thanks my friend. I appreciate that. I am currently driving a Volvo V70. and am looking for something more efficient than the 2.5 petrol engine. it is in a cheaper road tax bracket than the Volvo as well over here, so savings there too.

I asked the question on this board because I new there were so many helpful folk on here, although no one else has commented yet.

whiskychaser
04-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Unless you are going for a very new model, not sure the X3 is going to do your back any good. Top Gear reports on newer X3 and video for older one:
BMW X3 2.0d SE driven full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/x3/road-test/2.0d-se-driven)
Proof of the pudding though....

BobHarris
04-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I'll have to try the pudding then.

It's not so much the ride that is a problem with my back, as the height (getting in and out of the thing).

I'm quite tall (6 3) and most cars seem so low.

BobHarris
04-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer fellers.

I went to look at one today, and had a test drive. I was so impressed I bought it.

That Clarkson bloke doesn't know what he is talking about. I think it rides fabulously. I drove the 200 miles home and hardly noticed, although mine is the 2006 facelift model, which is supposed to be better than the earlier ones.

best regards and

Katmandu
04-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi All

I haven't been on the sight since my 530 T died of head gasket failure a few years back.

I am thinking of getting an X3 2.0D and wandered if anyone had any horror stories or advice on what to look out for. I loved my E34 but the X3 is as near as I can get that I would be able to get in and out of with my back injury.go for it! I would LOVE to have an X3 2.0D ! But here in the US the Gov is too retarded to not allow more small diesels into this country. :ROLLEYES: