PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjustment Done!! but ticks louder now....

measuringtape
01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi i own a 1991 535i which i have just done a valve adjusment one and i used 0.3mm(0.012") for each valve, i did them once then did them all again to make sure i got it right, and i did. so i put it back together and im ready to hear my now smooth engine run.... but no dice... it ticks louder now!! im gunna redo it in a couple days but does anyone have any ideas? maybe something ive done wrong?

myles
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
An M30 will quite often sound a bit ticky. Mine is adjusted correctly and sounds like a sewing machine.

Just as long as you adjust it correctly and regularly, check the cam lobes the rockers for wear and make sure that the oil spray bay is bolted in correctly.

As far as I'm concerned a well maintained ticking M30 is a happy M30.

measuringtape
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
i looked at the cam lobes and the looked practically brand new, i herd also the essentrics on the rocker arms can get flat spots, is that true?

myles
01-16-2012, 05:36 PM
That is true and they are easily replaced. None of mine have a visible flat spot, so I haven't changed them.

When I adjust it I use the 12thou to set it tight. Test that I can get the 11thou in easily and that the 13thou doesn't fit at all.

Make sure that you're adjusting it at the valve end of the rocker (not the cam end) and that the engine is nice and cold for those sizes.

measuringtape
01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I let the car sit overnight in my garage on ramps, i did measure where the essentric meets the valve so maybe its just the way its supposed to sound :S but to be sure im going to double check ahah rather be safe then srry :(