PDA

View Full Version : E34 Help

Tash_1991
11-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi all, i'm looking at buying another 530i, but this one has electrical gremlins. It has hyper wiper syndrome, A/C only works flat out, remote central locking doesn't work and the windows won't go up. From what I can research on this forum it's either the RM or GM, my only trouble is finding replacement ones in Australia!! Is there any difference between the USA version and the European one?? The GM part number for that car is 61358368572.

any help would be very much appreciated!!

Cheers
Tash

shogun
11-17-2011, 09:21 PM
hyper wiper problem might be a defective speed signal from the final drive.
AC only works flat out? What does that mean?
Central locking and windows can be many problems, starting with a broken wire loom from A-pillar to door to defective inner parts inside the door, and other stuff. That has to be checked step by step.
GMs are available plenty, no need to have your special Australia version, I have in my Japan spec. 750 a European GM and it works, GMs relearn. That is why they always have to be installed with battery disconnected, then battery has to be connected and then the GM will learn if the car has a sunroof or not etc

Tash_1991
11-18-2011, 12:31 AM
the A/C only works on the highest fan setting. and the BMW dealer the guy took it to in Tamworth told him it was a general module... but I didn't want to assume it was that, replace it and it still doesnt work. If it is in fact the General module, the USA version i found should work... providing battery is disconnected as you mentioned. i spose i can try the cheapest option first and go from there!! Because it's a beautiful car that ticks all the boxes for me!

thanks Shogun :)

Tash_1991
11-18-2011, 04:16 AM
am i still limited to a general module out of a E34? or are the E39 ones interchangeable.. may be a silly question, but i'm just curious

shogun
11-18-2011, 06:16 AM
The GM has nothing to do with the aircondition, that you can tell the guy. GM you can only use from E34 and E32, the E39 is a different generation.

That the AC is only working on highest fan, is simply a problem of the sword (in early E34) or the blower series resistance .

BMW E34 Website (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Sword.htm)

A blower motor resistor you can get on Ebay USA for less than $60, and a remanufactured sword for about $150

bmw e34 resistor | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bmw+e34+resistor&_sacat=0&_odkw=bmw+e32&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313)
a sword however can also be repaired DIY
I have some pics and some tips (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/355700/)

Tash_1991
11-18-2011, 07:51 PM
gah, all becoming way too hard in the scheme of things!!

genphreak
11-19-2011, 06:39 AM
The problems you describe are a common if the car has been wet inside- flooded or leaking windscreen (bad fitment) or overflowing sunroof (gumleaf blocking a corner drain) where the water dribbles down the pillars to the floor where it can hold 20l on each side of the tunnel in the foam under the carpet.

Water always ends up under the rear power distribution box where wiring can get corroded in the connectors to the GM and RM, if nothing is done about it and there is enough water.

Blower motor symptom is the only one I can't be sure can be caused by this- when it works only on maximum it is usually the resistor in your model, but may also be due to water ingress.

Tash_1991
11-22-2011, 02:57 AM
thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it alot!! i'm still not 100% sure whether i want to go down that path, not knowing whether it will fix it or not. i'm also looking at a 525i Wagon, and all it needs is a rear main seal, so that's easy done! lol