PDA

View Full Version : E38 ABS module

Grantus
11-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I have recently bought a 1999 E38 that has a fault with its ABS/DSC module which has been repaired before.

I am looking at buying a brand new one on ebay, but there are slight differences in the part numbers even though the vendor says they are compatible with my car. I accept that I will have to get it coded by the dealer.

There is a paper label with a Bosch barcode number: 962165 0 265 950 001

Can somebody with a 1999 model that has ABS/DSC please look and compare the numbers for me.

I spoke to a dealer and he quoted me a different number for the genuine part, but did distinguish between a BMW number and a Bosch number.

Confusion reigns!

martyyn
11-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Part numbers often change during a models lifetime even for the same part. I had the same issue when I needed a crash sensor for my e38. I think there were four different part numbers which were all compatible in the end and I think I even ended up with one from a Z3/4 I cant remember.

If you go to realoem.com you can do a part number search and see if its compatible with your car. Also if you start with your chassis number you should be able to find the part from the diagrams and it should say in the lower part whether the existing part number has been replaced or not. You can do the same thing on the Pelican website, I think they also allow you to work out the 'flow' of the part numbers from the first to the last.

shogun
11-12-2011, 09:04 PM
here are BMW and the Bosch numbers listed
ABS Module repair - N. Eyal Vehicle Lab (http://www.vehicle-lab.net/abs.html)

and this is probably the one you are looking for
1999 E38 ABS module in good working condition. | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-wanted/bmw/electrics/auction-420529844.htm)

info site from BBA-reman
BMW Bosch ABS Pumps Commonly Failing (http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=bmw_bosch_abs_pumps)

Grantus
11-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks Martyyn, I had been to real OEM and not been able to see an ABS module for my car. I will look at pelican.

Grantus
11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks Shogun those numbers are helpful.

The trademe ad is my wanted ad.

I have emailed a supplier and await their reply.

martyyn
11-13-2011, 06:39 PM
When you have the part numbers have a good look through ebay.de. Most if not everyone Ive dealt with speaks excellent English and the parts will be peanuts compared to a dealer here.

Otherwise give Steve Thomson a call on +6468730055, he is at one of the BMW dealership (in Hamilton I think) and they are wrecking BMW's out the back now, but I dont know if they are doing e38's yet. He has been great for e30 and e34 parts though.

Finally you could try Gavin and EuroItalian in Auckland. He had been excellent at helping me get a few unusual things but I think he's more into the consumables like filters, but might be worth a shot.

Grantus
11-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Grantus
11-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Well, I checked out the Danish site thankyou Martyyn, and after a few currency calculations decided to go with SoCal Motorsport who advertise on EBay, as they were less expensive and were happy to promptly answer any questions I had regarding compatibility.

They use paypal for their international billing and even though I am not a member of paypal it was no problem using my Visa card.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get here.

Grantus
12-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I received my module within 2 weeks from SoCal Motorsport who had great communication and service in answering my questions re part numbers etc. before I ordered.
I finally drove 100 miles or so to a BMW independent workshop yesterday to have it fitted and coded as there is no BMW dealer in my small town.

The new module cost me US$455.00 and the equivalent of US $151.00 to be fitted and coded, or a little bit more than NZ $800.00 all up, which is substantially less than if I had sourced it here in NZ.

As part of the fitting process, all codes were read and the mechanic informed me that my electronic thermostat is on its way out. I will start the pricing process over again and order one in.

On the drive back home this morning I noticed the rev counter was slow coming down as I entered the lower speed built up area.

Does anybody know what causes this?