PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket window regulators?

WarrenBrown
10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Drivers door window regulator (original). I'm told that while operating the window there as a load crash of something breaking. The glass didn't break but the window doesn't go up or down, still hear the motor working. I assume it is the regulator. A quick search of the internet shows OEM regulators at ~130$ and aftermarket regulators either Dorman or Replacement brand for ~50$. The car has like 230K, rust and smells like hell due to recent water leak (now fixed but the damage is done). I think 1 more year on this puppy. Anyone had any experience with aftermarket window regulators? I'm sure they didn't come from the motherland.
Warren
88 325ix
91 318is
95 525iT
01 525iT

ahlem
10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
If you only have a year left in the car I'd go aftermarket or used. I did a chevy astro minivan and have been happy with the aftermarket. I believe they were Dorman. Been a while and they work great.

Bill R.
10-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Warren, its usually the gears inside the motor/tranmission mechanism not the regulator. The motor/trans is available from autozone as an aftermarket dorman product with a lifetime warranty and its a pretty good price too. The drivers side front is the same as the passenger side rear and the passenger side front is the same as the drivers side rear..... A couple of the local upull it junkyards had e34 and e32's , Almost every one i looked at had the window motors gone and these cars had only been there a couple of days.

Russell
10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
There is a window motor fix on another e34 board by shayne. It uses a non-BMW gear replacement from e-bay. Regulator does not need to be removed.

shogun
10-10-2011, 06:18 PM
here BMW E34 Window Gear (http://www.bmw4life.com/windowGear.htm)