PDA

View Full Version : 1987 325e a/c problem???

tim s
06-16-2004, 08:35 PM
my a/c stopped blowing cold. now when i turn on the a/c on it makes a squeeling noise. mech said the belt is good, but the clutch is slipping. he does not know if it is the compressor tightening up or if it is just the clutch failing, but their is still enough freon in the system, if their was not the compressor would not try to run at all. are these clutches a weak point or should i just be ready to buy a compressor?
thanks
tim s.

winfred
06-16-2004, 09:28 PM
if that's the orignal compressor i wouldn't waste a new clutch on it

tim s
06-16-2004, 10:45 PM
should i buy used or rebuilt???
thanks
tim s.

winfred
06-16-2004, 11:18 PM
if you plan to keep the car for a good while id go new if you can find it, a cheeper route would be one of those seltec aftermarket compressor conversions, we are doing one on a 88 325ic at the shop now, it's a pain in the ass on a I with the oil cooler pipes in the way of the hoses but that's not a issue on a E, the conversion is a universal compressor and a mounting kit, usually it goes for about $400 for everything but if the compressor ever dies it's cheep and easy to find. rebuilt can be a crap shoot, so can used

billb
06-17-2004, 10:46 PM
What would you recommend on that? It's just the clutch windings...the compressor is free to turn, no problem. Bearings look fine too.

Bill B.
Hot here in NC...

winfred
06-17-2004, 11:40 PM
most nippondenso compressors hang in there well, you may be able to score a coil from a older jap car in a salvage yard, try to find a u-pull it yard and match it up, there is only a couple variations of the nippondenso compressor.
the crappy compressors are the wing cell type bosch/seiko units, they work fine but once they get old they can take a dump anytime

jcos16
06-18-2004, 07:24 AM
they have the conversions kits. Ship all over US
Easy to work with.
Good Luck
John

most nippondenso compressors hang in there well, you may be able to score a coil from a older jap car in a salvage yard, try to find a u-pull it yard and match it up, there is only a couple variations of the nippondenso compressor.
the crappy compressors are the wing cell type bosch/seiko units, they work fine but once they get old they can take a dump anytime