PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod replacement

6670charger
07-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Is it necessary to replace the center tie rod when rebuilding the front end, or can you just do the tie rod ends? Trying to figure out what parts I absolutely must have.

Thanks.

whiskychaser
07-02-2011, 09:39 AM
If the joints on the centre tie rod are not worn or leaking I wouldnt bother. If you are doing the outers anyway I would get a set like the bottom pic in the link below. You will have to do the tracking anyway and having parts that are not seized solid is always a plan.
BMW E34 Website (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Steering/steering_link.htm)

Tiger
07-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Center tie rod tend to be really robust... I yanked two or three out and very little wear and play. I'd probably skip it too until 150000 miles.

6670charger
07-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks. I'll probably replace it. The car has around 160K miles on it, and I doubt the center rod has ever been changed.

Tiger
07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I changed my center drag link at about 135000 miles... very little wear. If you car is a city car, then the wear rate is much higher so I would change it. If it is more highway cruiser, I wouldn't bother... or that if you live in one of the best place with almost no potholes... same story... don't bother. So you do need to judge the life of the car.

6670charger
07-03-2011, 01:29 AM
I think it's been primarily a city car, although I don't know the complete history on it. It's also been driven exclusively on Germany's concrete Autobahns and cobblestone streets. I'm thinking that it's probably worth replacing.

Tiger
07-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree with you on this... change it. Once you remove the center drag link... then you will know. One tip... make sure you loose fit all links before tightening it... Once I installed the drag link wrong side... had to hammer it out to correct it... so always loose fit everything before you tighten the nuts.