PDA

View Full Version : E39 non-xenon headlight adjusters-piece o'cake!

billb
05-23-2011, 09:23 AM
My in-laws have a '99 528i. It's been a money pit for them unfortunately, but it's still a nice nice ride. I hate to see them struggle with it. Recently, I noticed the headlights seemed low. I mentioned it to them, and when they had it in for service at their independent, they said the lights were broken and would require replacement. At the tune of $700 EACH!!!

I told my father-in-law not to spend a dime yet, and let me check into it. I researched E39 adjusters, and found that there are two molded plastic components in each light that grow brittle and fail. When they do, the reflector assembly tilts down and is no longer adjustable. I ordered two kits, one for each light, for $20.50 total including shipping. The job is well-documented on BavAuto's website, and literally took a 18-inch piece of string, a 6mm nutdriver, a flatblade screwdriver to separate the housing, my tiniest torx screwdriver, and a smaller flatblade screwdriver to pry out the brittle plastic. The first side took 45 minutes, and the second 30 (I learned some along the way). This included cleaning the inside of the glass lenses, and using 3M plastic cleaner and polish on the covers once finished. I aimed them as best as I could in my garage. Then did a bulb check on all bulbs to ensure they were lit.

Did a courtesy coolant topoff, oil level check, air filter check, belt check, gummipfledge on door and hood rubbers, lithium grease on hood release and latches, door checks, etc. All the stuff the Indy SHOULD be doing but isn't! Cleaned all the brake dust off the wheels, shined the tires, checked the air pressure, then enjoyed a nice quiet ride in the E39 as I took it to their house to drop it off. I aimed the lights again last night outside in the dark. Also re-aimed the driving lights (left was a tad high), and sent it on its way.

This earned me an extra hug from my mother-in-law (her car) last night, and that made it worth it. Plus it saved them a TON of cash. If your E39 has this problem, tackle it. It's easy!

Russell
05-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Way to go!

BTW, I think a 2003 e39 530i, auto non-sport willbe my next BMW.