PDA

View Full Version : Finally, got the diagnostics working...

genphreak
10-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Had to work my way through the various hardware and software interface options, German config, virtual machine configuration and networking.

In summary, for e31s, e32s and e34s, you have to use:

A laptop powerful enough to run a VM, but that has
- Minimum 1.5GB RAM, Serial port, 30GB free space.
- Windows XP+1.5GB RAM or possibly Windows 7+3GB RAM in compatibility mode
(You must use Windoze to run the interface software)
If you can afford it, touchscreen is the way to go.
- Virtual Machine software such as VMware Server/Workstation. If you use anything other than VMware server, be prepared to do your own networking config- you need to be pretty proficient (not a beginner with configuring numerous virtual interfaces).

Forget USB converters, none work with ADS properly- only OBD, so for e31,2,4 you must have a serial plug. If it wasn't for the serial port it could work on a MacBook. BUT you would have to run 2 VMs, one for the SCO UNIX-based DIS, and one for Windows just to run ISHSrv.exe... pleugh!

Oh, and you need an ADS interface as the 20pin connectors provide 'K-line' connectivity. OBD works, but is not as comprehensive.

I recommend most highly one from mktech over at BF. I have a number of interfaces, only the precisely right ones work with the older cars :)

Once you get the DIS working, you can setup all the extras such as the BMW TIS, like these online ones, but context sensitive to what you discover in the DIS.

Online TIS http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/Index_cd3.htm
Online ETM http://www.jonkensy.com/DTA/ETM/

Then verify that your networking and EDIABAS.ini config is correctly setup on both the Windows host running IFHSrv.exe and the UNIX-based DIS, plug it into your car, turn the ignition on (posn 2) and start diagnosing....

Now DO NOT ask me where to Download the software, but I reccommend 'EasyDIS v.44', EDIABAS/INPA 6.43 (this includes the required IFHSrv.exe).

Mordan
10-21-2010, 08:17 AM
hey 2 questions

do you have any experience with Carsoft?
Where did you buy your ADS interface? How can you make sure the chineese crap I have is correct and provide Kline connectivity. (which is?)

:) thx

BennyM
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Wow. I really wish I could read what the ECU is doing, but everything you said went right over my head. Is this laptop/interface something you plan on installing for real-time data inside the car? If so, please post pictures so I can live vicariously through your hard work.

myles
10-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Got mine working a couple of months ago too. It is really great to use DIS, its helped heaps in finding faults in one car in particular that I hadn't previously figured out. I've also found INPA and NCSExpert to be very useful (not much use on my early E34s, but great with anything after 91) for recoding modules and changing settings.

shogun
10-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I recommend most highly one from mktech over at BF. I have a number of interfaces, only the precisely right ones work with the older cars
ADSparts1.jpg

that looks to me like the one Gert (rv8flyboy) on Bimmerboard is selling.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/776664/
he is a trusted person, very good knowledge.

BigKriss
10-21-2010, 10:01 PM
woo hoo. good work Nick :)

genphreak
10-22-2010, 05:00 AM
woo hoo. good work Nick :)Yea, it was a bloody breakthrough. Plenty of trouble getting thse things to work. From what people were saying online I couldn't work out how the Virtual Machines were supposed to work or really what depended on what. A lot of people distribute 1-2-3 guides but it isn't clear how to diagnose many steps. I got kernel errors trying to reset the network interfaces in SCO and was thinking I'd have to rebuild the damn thing till I worked out the German in a test screen. Also one really needs to be profficient with networking and VM hosts to work it out. I am, and was still having trouble. I've had the software for over a 2 years now- and some dedicated kit to run it on too. I needed to have given up on the USB a long time ago, and it took a long time to ge the right PCMCIA adapter for my laptop as it didn't have a serial plug. And I had tons of troubles to address in 'the fleet' to start work on as well...

Another trouble is that that throughout production, the modules and diagnostic capabilities change as myles said, but for me, re-programming EWS is not something I am keen to do unless I know all the links in the chain are solid. After all if it fails, the car won't go... LOL!

So Kriss, bring ya monster round and we'll see what she can tell us!

genphreak
10-22-2010, 05:03 AM
Hey Myles, I haven't messed with NCSexpert yet, but this link makes it clearer. Are you using EDIABAS 6.4.3 or 6.4.7? I heard 6.4.3 has more programming capabilities as 6.4.7 and later versions are 'knobbled'...

genphreak
10-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Wow. I really wish I could read what the ECU is doing, but everything you said went right over my head. Is this laptop/interface something you plan on installing for real-time data inside the car? If so, please post pictures so I can live vicariously through your hard work. You can use INPA to read most of the sensor outputs and so on real-time. It reads stored errors, current error status and also real-time data- from most modules actually. You can do things like automaatically close switches, lock/unlock/cycle windows and even run test modes on some systems. No ECU programming, but there are resources around (such as one of big kriss' recent posts) that present quite a lot of work being done with Motronic now that it is old enough to be accessible by the fanatics... Most mechanics have a commercial interface though, so getting a readout isn't hard. You wnt someone who knows BMWs, Porsches or Mercs, of course- the systems are quite similarly pedantic :)

genphreak
10-22-2010, 05:22 AM
I too have a black chinese carsoft hardware interface. Got it working but suspect the software does not handle the hardware interface errors well enough to make it usable on ADS equipped cars. Using OBD is not as good, so I gave up.

Some people claim to have got the carsoft interface working with DIS/INPA/EDIABAS/SSS (instead of the yellow GT1 interface (which also includes the computer that we setp the Virtual Machine for), but they still need IFHSrv, so it only does what rv8flyboy's does. Now I could be wrong about the carsoft software, but it seemed all cracked up in pieces and not very good in the first place. The factory stuff is certainly more dependable. Given the interface troubles one has to deal with on the old cars, that's important. I have Fister's kit which is brilliant, and rv8flyboy's. His is the coolest as he bascially re-designed Fister's 2-piece ADS/OBD unit to completely fit inside the 20 pin plug (so it is one piece. It was not easy as it even uses Surface Mount Components).

He's in Poland and did a terrific job picking up where Fister kind of abandoned things. Definately a dependable guy. If you're keeping your car/s, I'd suggest getting one in case he moves onto other things.

myles
10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi Nick, I've got both of those version of ediabas running correctly. Both of my versions have had some files missing, but 643 was much more complete. Have a look at this link for lots of good info for ncsexpert - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483234
Its a powerful tool and can make a complete brick of the car if used incorrectly. I've used it when I retrofitted things like the OBC, cruise, dwa and park ventilation to my e36 so that everything was coded correctly and did actually work. Before that the OBC was always complaining about the missing check control system and the dwa and park vent wouldn't work at all.

genphreak
10-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Yep, that is indeed. I was keen from the moment he mentioned doing it. I bet Fister's still around, just moved on to other things I guess. I reckon he had some trouble shipping them, though luckily mine came through and came with excellent doco. I suspect customer problems probably got too great, and I'd suspect that'd be more to do with people's particular software and hardware installations.

genphreak
10-24-2010, 04:56 AM
On second thoughts, I found these in my docs... but can't attach.

Perhaps you could find them online and see what functions work, and which don't with your cs setup.

Search for the files;
Using Carsoft Cable for Dis with INPA.pdf
Using Carsoft Cable for Dis Protocol and Process Settings.pdf