PDA

View Full Version : Head on avoided.

genphreak
07-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Finally, I'm gonna buy HIDs.

I got cut off on a 3 lane highway the other night. Whilst crossing a junction, a monster van pulled out from the middle lane where it had been travelling directly behind a truck. No indication, it just pulled straight out (on me). He didn't check his nearest blind spot (or pehaps even his mirror). He cetrainly didn't look to see if anyone was beside him.

Anyhow, I had nowhere to go other than into the ***oncoming traffic***. There was no way my car would have persuaded that big Iveco van to change course! Luckily, and the reason I get to write this, is that I was able to stop fast before having a head-on collision- and use the opposing traffic's turning lane where luckliy no one was travelling at the time.

So I got to test the e34's brakes. From 70kmh to 0 in (I reckon) about 30m. Luckliy she'd had brand new ATEs and akebonos a few weeks beforehand.

Looking at the excellent Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E34) page: It appears this is normal!

"The E34's 60-0 mph (97 to 0 km/h) stopping distance of 130 feet (40 m) was the best of any production sedan in 1990"

LOL, Saved, so I can buy yet another BMW a bit later on in life. No that's what I call worthwhile marketing! LOL!

PS. The HIDs are so that people see me next time. I was thinking of getting 4500k ones (stock colour). I'd actually prefer yellow (3000k) but I think the Police here in Oz would hassle me if I went this route as some boy racers started a craze of using yellow lights. Has anyone done the HID conversions on e32 or e34? Not sure if I'm missing anything much...

Tiger
07-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Done my HID in 2001.... 9 years ago! You are missing alot! The important thing is your headlight lens must be chip free before you install HID.

whiskychaser
07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
A bit OT but may be worth mentioning - if the driver's side has two mirrors, there is a chance he will see you alongside. If he only has one it will be set higher and he could miss you whether you have bright headlights or not. Horn and brakes recommended. Depending on your laws, Mr Iveco could be some car driver moving his stuff to the tip:( Sounds like you did a great job on the brakes and had your wits about you!

genphreak
07-15-2010, 09:36 PM
A bit OT but may be worth mentioning - if the driver's side has two mirrors, there is a chance he will see you alongside. If he only has one it will be set higher and he could miss you whether you have bright headlights or not. Horn and brakes recommended. Depending on your laws, Mr Iveco could be some car driver moving his stuff to the tip:( Sounds like you did a great job on the brakes and had your wits about you!No way man, it wasn't me. I just pointed the old girl and threw out all the balast and anchors I could find... LOL!

Thanks for the comments. It was actually one of those times when a horn button in the middle (away from one's thumbs) is clearly bad design (but that's Momo's list of bads), but the small wheel helped keep everything in line tho.

I was actually inching past 'in the fast lane' (on his right side as in Oz we drive on the right), so it was even worse a faux-pax on his behalf. When he pulled out I was right beside, bonnet just behind his front door/window- the most dangerous place to be. Brakes alone were not enough to avoid him, it required changing lanes... right to the other side.

Talk about being lucky. If he hadn't committed the other serious mistake (we have a rule that says it is illegal to cross lanes on junctions) I would be dead as I'd had to have jumped the median strip and probably would have flown sideways into the oncoming traffic :D

Another boardmember dead- and no pics to mark the moment! No doubt the way I'll go tho... And yes, I will now fix the horn, Mr. Mindreader (I don't remember ever saying to anyone the horn wasn't working... LOL!)

Ferret
07-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Ugh I got so sick of people missing the low nose of the 850i and cutting me off I fitted three of these under the nose:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/nautilus-horns.jpg
The one on the left, the Stebel Nautilus, really compact, about the size of your fist, but man oh man they're powerful. (And they're only about £14 each!)

Had to put a separate wiring loom in too because when all three are running they're drawing the best part of 60 amps x.x (you can see the vehicles running lights flicker!)

They're so loud when they resonate with each other that the steering column vibrates and you can feel it in the pedals. They certainly wake up idiot van drivers - had one a few weeks back try and take me out, I blasted him so badly he overreacted and nearly took the car on his /other side out/ from swerving back.

Childish, but oh so satisfying.

GJPinAU
07-16-2010, 05:02 AM
It'll cost you a fortune fitting them to your stable (x4?)

tim eh?
07-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Glad you and car made it! I doubt visibility made much of a difference tho - I drive a big red truck at work and people still cut me off on a regular basis.

genphreak
07-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Hahahhahah.. thanks for the suggestion! They sound good... here's a link to their supreme loudness... LISTEN HERE (http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/suoni.asp?IDsuono=shnautilus.swf)

Three of them though? LOL!!

genphreak
07-16-2010, 06:36 PM
You're just jealous Greg :) I better write a will up pronto, which one would you like?

genphreak
07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Yea, too right.

Tho gunmetal grey is one of the worst colours to have statistically... apparently at dusk it is common for people to miss it when they glance. This was midnight tho, I doubt it'd matter what colour she was. The horns might have been handy tho, (if they were self-sounding!

GJPinAU
07-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Jealous of your parts shed! Um, probably the LE...?

Ferret
07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Three of them though? LOL!!

Yeah, I was pretty pissed last time someone nearly took the nose off my car :)

BigKriss
07-19-2010, 10:44 PM
i've seen the youtube videos of these. isn't 3 overkill though?

Ugh I got so sick of people missing the low nose of the 850i and cutting me off I fitted three of these under the nose:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/nautilus-horns.jpg
The one on the left, the Stebel Nautilus, really compact, about the size of your fist, but man oh man they're powerful. (And they're only about £14 each!)

Had to put a separate wiring loom in too because when all three are running they're drawing the best part of 60 amps x.x (you can see the vehicles running lights flicker!)

They're so loud when they resonate with each other that the steering column vibrates and you can feel it in the pedals. They certainly wake up idiot van drivers - had one a few weeks back try and take me out, I blasted him so badly he overreacted and nearly took the car on his /other side out/ from swerving back.

Childish, but oh so satisfying.

whiskychaser
07-20-2010, 11:58 AM
i've seen the youtube videos of these. isn't 3 overkill though?
I'm guessing he installed three to combat what we call 'White Van Man'.

Ferret
07-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing he installed three to combat what we call 'White Van Man'.

Aye, and three still isn't loud enough for some of them...!

Something about them amused me the other day - set them off as a demo in a dusty car park and the horns actually caused a dust storm under the front of the car!