PDA

View Full Version : BMW Radio

Dom
03-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I have a stock 91 525i that needs a radio.
Anyone know which to upgrade or replace with.
Ebay people talk about pin recepticles and what years, I figure someone here has been through this.
I'd like a CD43 but they want a lot of money for them and honestly I just keep it on easy listening and forget about it.
Any response is appreciated.

BMWDriver
03-20-2010, 12:55 AM
You might go for any after-market that you would like, basically. You'd just need a harness adapter. If you want to go into the finer points of that option, there are a lot of possible solutions to make the best of it - crossover, amplifier bypass, adding a woofer later on... all on a reasonable budget.

If you go for a replacement BMW head unit, make sure to get one from 1991 or later. The connecting harness and wiring is dramatically different than the first generation head units that went into the E34 (no negative wiring to the speakers... you are reading this right).

BMW4LIFE
03-20-2010, 04:46 AM
+1 on the aftermarket

tim eh?
03-20-2010, 07:12 AM
First tho what is the problem?

Is the head unit missing or not working or working badly?

Before you do anything make sure you still have the factory amp in the trunk.

I wouldn't suggest an aftermarket stereo unless you want to upgrade the system in some way (ie sound or functionality).

Better off getting a bmw head unit IMO but be careful to get one that you know the code for.

BMWDriver
03-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Indeed, the BMW option would be easiest. +1 for the code. If I recall, Reppentokyo recently got someone to add an Aux input for his MP3 player out of his BMW unit.

leicesterboy15
03-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I would go aftermarket, the BMW stereo looks great in the car but they are expensive for what you get, plus there are all sorts of options these days. Don't buy one from an unheard of brand, they may have all the features but they sound rubbish.

One thing I would recommend is to make sure the unit you select has red illumination because if it doesn't it will really annoy you, well it did me anyway. A small point I know but one that is easily overlooked.

BMWDriver
03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
One thing I would recommend is to make sure the unit you select has red illumination because if it doesn't it will really annoy you, well it did me anyway. A small point I know but one that is easily overlooked.

I certainly appreciate the option on the Clarion I got, where you can set the color of the buttons. It makes the aesthete in me very happy.