PDA

View Full Version : Headlight levelling.

ss2115
09-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi. Not an important question, but my touring has the hydraulic self levelling rear suspension which ideally keeps the car level at all times.
I wonder then why they still fit the headlight adjuster?

Is it just that the headlight adjuster is a standard fitment and fitted anyway to all E34's regardless of the other options fitted, or is there some reason or circumstance that I haven't thought of for requiring both?

shogun
09-26-2009, 09:58 AM
My E32 750 has LAD and therefore no automatic headlight adjustment. Because it is not necessary.
I understand you have the automatic headlight adjustment as required in Europe if no LAD, that means behind the low beams the black box with the Hella or Bosch motor.

whiskychaser
09-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Are they still level with 4 up and suitcases or when towing a trailer? I'd have thought there would be some 'give' in the tyres and suspension. You definitely need self levelling and headlight cleaning if you have HIDs fitted. Not sure about filament bulbs. I do know that putting HIDs in headlights with type approval (designed) for a filament is illegal. Even if you do get it past the annual MOT;)

ss2115
09-26-2009, 03:24 PM
I must admit that I havn't observed the headlight aim at night with also a very heavy load - only two extra people in the back seat.

But in the daytime, I often put a small machine in the back of the car of 105kg when I take it for demonstrations as part of my job and the suspension always adjusts correctly. I know this because I use a special trolley to load and unload the machine and after the engine is run it always fits exactly right under the bumper bar to take the machine out again.

So I don't know why they bother to fit the small thumbwheel for the headlight adjusters and the motors on the headlights as well.
I never take it off zero setting (except to play with watching the headlights go up and down when parked near a wall to see them working).

whiskychaser
09-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm 80kg and dont think thats obese. So a couple of guys my weight and our bags in the boot will give you 200kg ie double. Hitch up a caravan or trailer and its got to go down at the back:D Even air suspension will go down if you put weight on it. TBH I'm a bit concerned you put 105kg in the boot. Doesnt this affect your handling?

ss2115
09-26-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm 80kg and dont think thats obese. So a couple of guys my weight and our bags in the boot will give you 200kg ie double. Hitch up a caravan or trailer and its got to go down at the back:D Even air suspension will go down if you put weight on it. TBH I'm a bit concerned you put 105kg in the boot. Doesnt this affect your handling?

Well, with a machine worth some Au$17,000 in the back secured by Ocki-straps to the BMW luggage rings, I'm not exactly screaming around the neighbourhood drifting or oversteer sliding anyway.

But in truth the car hardly feels the difference or as above jest, I've never pushed it to find out.
If anything, the rear suspension ride improves quite a bit and is much less harsh, and is particularly better over speed bumps.
Braking is unchanged.
Great car - love the wagon especially (sorry - "Touring" :) )

whiskychaser
09-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Well, with a machine worth some Au$17,000 in the back secured by Ocki-straps to the BMW luggage rings, I'm not exactly screaming around the neighbourhood drifting or oversteer sliding anyway.

But in truth the car hardly feels the difference or as above jest, I've never pushed it to find out.
If anything, the rear suspension ride improves quite a bit and is much less harsh, and is particularly better over speed bumps.
Braking is unchanged.
Great car - love the wagon especially (sorry - "Touring" :) )
My apologies. I tend to forget there are other responsible drivers on the road