PDA

View Full Version : Front ashtray cassette removal

whiskychaser
07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
My cigar lighter has never worked. There is a hole in the bottom of the socket where a wire should be for a start! No problem except I'd like to be able to charge my mobile phone. I've seen a post about attacking this by removing the radio. But the heating controls are still in the way and under them is a plastic panel anyway. So how do you get the sliding cassette out?

whiskychaser
07-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Could have sworn I saw a response to this a minute ago!!:D

Anyway, to clarify I can get the ashtray out easily enough. There is a 'silver' metal tab underneath the moving carriage but pushing it up/down doesnt release it.

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I have always removed the console. It really depends on where the wires are that run to the lighter. You can remove the radio but you have to know which wire(s) you are looking for, and you have to have small hands. I am guessing you have pulled the ash tray and can see anything through the hole in the back?

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Here is a pic of the connector

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/DSC00648.jpg

If you pull this panel
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/DSC00649.jpg

some time you can reach the connector using a three finger through the hole behind the ash tray. But most times you have to remove the lower center console.

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Push down gently on the cigar lighter part and pull the ashtray towards you. To reinstall lift up on the cigar light part and gently push the tray back in. It takes a little practice

whiskychaser
07-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Push down gently on the cigar lighter part and pull the ashtray towards you. To reinstall lift up on the cigar light part and gently push the tray back in. It takes a little practice
Many thanks!! I cant see any wires through the hole in the bottom of lighter socket. The panel in your pic is where my glovebox is (RHD) so I hope I dont have to remove it

tim eh?
07-28-2009, 01:00 PM
hey that circuit's always live not that you didn't know that already.

whiskychaser
07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Many thanks!! I cant see any wires through the hole in the bottom of lighter socket. The panel in your pic is where my glovebox is (RHD) so I hope I dont have to remove it

Update:
Pressing down on the lighter resulted in a worrying 'crack!' noise. But it seemed to go back in place by pushing upwards again. Wiggling the 'drawer' side to side got it out in the end.
There is a hole in the back of the housing on the right side where the wires would exit. I say 'would' because I cant see any:( The centre console sweeps round to meet the steering column so I've either got to remove that or search from above via the radio aperture. To make it worse, it looks like the metal cig lighter tube is moulded in. What a PITA. I think my options are
1. Go to dentists' suppliers, buy a mirror on a stick and persevere
2. Say WTF. Just make sure my phone is charged like I normally do

PS. One bit of good news - the ashtray light works! Admittedly its not much use as there is no clear section for it to shine through

Kibokojoe
07-30-2009, 11:11 AM
"Push down gently on the cigar lighter part"

Kibokojoe
07-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Have you never taken out the center lower console? I owned my Bimmer 2 years now and have had the console out at least 5 or 6 times now. Not that much trouble but the plastic can be brittle so take your time.

whiskychaser
07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes I remembered the 'gently' bit:D I havent seen any need to remove the centre console but it looks like I'm going to have to now:(

Kibokojoe
07-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Not bad just remember its old plastic

whiskychaser
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks to the photo, I knew what sort or connector to look for. I removed the small piece of carpet from the right hand side of the transmission tunnel (the one you need to take off to get at the microfilter). I spotted what I hoped was this connector through a tiny gap at the front of the heater housing. Using a wooden kebab skewer and a bent coat hanger I managed to fish it back through the hole in the back of the ashtray housing. As has been stated, the lines are perm live and as both ends were bare it blue the fuse.
Now all I need to do is pop round a scrap yard and get a new drawer complete with lighter socket. Count myself very lucky I didnt need to remove the centre console. Thanks for you help gentlemen!!:D

tim eh?
08-01-2009, 07:05 AM
it's probably good you found it :)
http://images.craigslist.org/3mc3pa3l3ZZZZZZZZZ97ae4374b2eee5b1119.jpg

Kibokojoe
08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I guess in the future it would be good to disconnect the battery. Well anyway for anyone else attempting this