PDA

View Full Version : M50 cam "holder" tool - got one?

RobPatt
07-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi, Thinking of repairing my noisy vanos with either the $250 job from Dr.Vanos.com...

or the $20 parts for the total DIY job from Beisan Systems.

So... anyone have the cam "hold it in place" tool for the cheap?

Or a creative alternative? I don't have fabrication means... so it's gotta be simple.

Cheers and thanks.
Rob.

russiankid
07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Its doable without one but it will take you some time getting the cams aligned correctly.

Scott C
07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi, Thinking of repairing my noisy vanos with either the $250 job from Dr.Vanos.com...

or the $20 parts for the total DIY job from Beisan Systems.

So... anyone have the cam "hold it in place" tool for the cheap?

Or a creative alternative? I don't have fabrication means... so it's gotta be simple.

Cheers and thanks.
Rob.

Just sold one on ebay for $50 ;)

yaofeng
07-13-2009, 09:04 PM
You can do it without the alignment tool. You can remove the camshafts without the camshaft removal tool also.

Dave M
07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Get a straightedge/solid, straight piece of metal and lay it along the rear, square ends of the camshafts to align. I had to grind down a torx socket to fit one of the small head bolts at the timing chain cover, otherwise, all the other steps can be done without specialty tools. Oh, I used a safety pin to hold down the secondary chain tensioner.,

We have plenty of pics of this if you need a hand later. Good luck with it,

Dave

Dave M
07-13-2009, 09:28 PM
On the vanos front, I've used the Besian Sytems kit for a friend's M52 and it worked very well. Worth the money.

Dave

RobPatt
11-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Great, thanks Dave... finally getting ready to do this job... I think I'll get a few strips of alu from Lowes... about 1 inch wide and 1/16 thick... rivet together and trace the layout of the square end of the cam... then cut the alu and use it as a guide for keeping the cams in sync...

What can I use for the crankshaft/flywheel locking pin... just a screwdriver ?

Will do this in a month or so soon as I learn what tools I need and get another good weekend... Thx.. -Rob.

Dave M
11-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Great, thanks Dave... finally getting ready to do this job... I think I'll get a few strips of alu from Lowes... about 1 inch wide and 1/16 thick... rivet together and trace the layout of the square end of the cam... then cut the alu and use it as a guide for keeping the cams in sync...

What can I use for the crankshaft/flywheel locking pin... just a screwdriver ?

Will do this in a month or so soon as I learn what tools I need and get another good weekend... Thx.. -Rob.

Don't worry about trying to lock the crank. Just be sure to have things lined up properly when you piece it back together.

Good luck and have fun,

Dave

93 525 Paul
11-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Hey Rob:
you can borrow this one I made from square stock.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/pmcdougal/LongBlock1-1.jpg
Also if you want to lock the flywheel you need a Phillips screwdriver as the hole is only about 6mm or so...

shogun
11-29-2012, 02:35 AM
I am doing the single Vanos repair on my E36 M3 with a Beisan kit, I bought this here for only $92
BMW Vanos Valve Camshaft Alignment Locking Timing Tool - Samic Special Tools (http://www.samicspecialtools.com/bmw-vanos-valve-camshaft-alignment-locking-timing-tool/)
BMW Vanos Valve Camshaft Alignment Locking Timing Tool - Product Description- •BMW Single Vanos Valve Timing Kit Special Engine Tools
•Include: CAMSHAFT LOCKING FIXTURE for 4 & 6 CYLINDERS
• 1) CAMSHAFT LOCATING FIXTURE
• Aligns and holds the camshaft in position when assembling cylinder head and replacing timing chain.
• Engines: M42, M44, M50, M52, M52TU, M54, M56, S50US, S52US.
• 2) TOP DEAD CENTER PIN:
• Use to lock the flywheel at Top Dead Center when removing
• or replacing the camshafts or VANOS assemblies.
• Engines: M42, M43, M44, M50, M52, M52TU, M54, M56, M60, M62,
• M70, M73, S50B30, S50B32, S54, S62.
• 3) VANOS TURNING WRENCH:
• Use to adjust VANOS position on single VANOS engines when removing or installing.
• Engines: M50, M52, S50US, S52US.
• 4) CHAIN TENSIONER LOCK PIN:
• Locks chain tensioner during timing.
• Engines: M50, M52.

Dave M
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Everything in that 'kit' Shogun posted, except for the actual camshaft lock, can be found in your toolbox or your junk droor. I think the locking tool I purchased was ~35$ and If I had the tools to make one like Paul, it would be much cheaper.........

Dave