PDA

View Full Version : Another Clunking Sound on Take Off

angusbn
04-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Only occurs from a standing start at about 20km. "Clunk" sound that seems to be associated with the auto transmission "shifting" from 1st gear. No further sound afterwards, no other sound at regular speed or when slowing down.

Transmission mounts?

BTW does a 535i (production date 08/88) have a guibo?

e34.535i.sport
04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Only occurs from a standing start at about 20km. "Clunk" sound that seems to be associated with the auto transmission "shifting" from 1st gear. No further sound afterwards, no other sound at regular speed or when slowing down.

Transmission mounts?

BTW does a 535i (production date 08/88) have a guibo?

Someone may correct me here but I'm pretty sure the auto's don't have a guibo... Mine being an 08/1990 manual does have a guibo though, which I quickly learnt when I lost a couple of bolts out of it! :D

///Sniper535
04-28-2009, 06:28 PM
my 89 auto doesn't have a guibo.

BMW4LIFE
04-29-2009, 12:48 AM
I have one of those bastards...it cost me 300 bucks to replace that bitch! =(

before i knew how to work on my car lol

check this link out and let me know if it helps!

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GUIBO

DanH
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I have a Guibo on my manual transmission, but none on my auto trans. There is a u-joint at the transmission end instead.

When my auto trans mounts were bad the you could feel the transmission clunk while tilting slightly from the torque when shifting from reverse to drive.

Also, inspect your center bearing on the drive shaft, it's difficult to do without removing the exhaust, but I've used a digital camera up the tunnel from near the rear differential to examine it. If the bearing seizes it will tear the rubber bushing and allow the draftshaft to clunk around or scrape on the heat shield.

If one of the driveshaft u-joint bearings is bad you can get a vibration / shudder around 20 mph.

whiskychaser
05-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Someone may correct me here but I'm pretty sure the auto's don't have a guibo...
Me sir! Oooooh yes they do. Well, ok, mine does.