PDA

View Full Version : Did the plugs the other day

Travis_WA
01-23-2009, 04:00 AM
And they all looked like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/3219198419_fca14abbf5_o.jpg

Rather amazed my car has been running as smoothly as it has. The previous owner (or the place he took the car to) didn't torque them correctly either, one was frighteningly loose. Replaced them all with Bosch OE plugs, and I seem to have a bit better acceleration.

Also noticed my valve cover gasket is rather leaky, oil in all six. So... I get to attempt that in a week or two. If anyone knows of a good write up :D

Morgenster
01-23-2009, 05:12 AM
Is it me or does that plug look like a normal used plug?
Changing the plugs for new ones will always improve performance, so good that you did it.
The valve cover gasket is easy to replace: just unscrew the cover (careful not to lose the nuts and washers), remove (it's a little heavier than you'd expect), remove the gasket material, clean the surfaces on both the cover and the head (careful with the head part: you don't want to drop bits of crap into exposed cams), apply new gasket, put back cover, screw down cover in alternating pattern like you do with wheels but with many more nuts and tighten to just over fingertight (I cal it wrist-tight) or 10 N/m. And that's it. No more leaks.

Travis_WA
01-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Is it me or does that plug look like a normal used plug?

Well, it is true I haven't seen a whole ton of used plugs :) Mostly I was surprised they were platinums, such a tiny electrode!

Dave M
01-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Plug looks fine to me, toasty golden brown....

Dave

Tiger
01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Normal perfect condition.