PDA

View Full Version : M20 E34 3 exhaust boxes?

billy
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
can the e34 m20 2.5 make do with a rear box and a center box alone?
im looking at renewing the parts and I can only seem to find the rear 2 boxes, not the front one - as far as im aware I shouldnt have a cat fitted, so whats the front box?

as far as i can tell the front box is original to the car, never been replaced.

realoem calls the front box a 'CATALYZER PREPARATION
CONVENTIONAL EXHAUST TECHNIQUE'

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC12&mospid=47373&btnr=18_0157&hg=18&fg=10

whiskychaser
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
can the e34 m20 2.5 make do with a rear box and a center box alone?
im looking at renewing the parts and I can only seem to find the rear 2 boxes, not the front one - as far as im aware I shouldnt have a cat fitted, so whats the front box?

as far as i can tell the front box is original to the car, never been replaced.

realoem calls the front box a 'CATALYZER PREPARATION
CONVENTIONAL EXHAUST TECHNIQUE'

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC12&mospid=47373&btnr=18_0157&hg=18&fg=10

I dont have a cat either but we still get a front silencer box. It just doesnt have a cat inside or the lambda (O2) sensor. If you wanted to get rid of the front box you would need to extend the front pipes to connect to the mid section silencer which sits right behind it. If you used your VIN number, I'd say its pointing you to item 2 as the first item is blanked out

Ross
01-07-2009, 06:15 PM
If the front box on UK cars is there to equal the silencing provide by the cat I don't recommend eliminating it. I eliminated cats on another car with a similar three box exhaust years ago and regretted it. The car droned badly at speed and the area under the seats also resonated a bit. Never again.

billy
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
The problem I have is that the original box has been on there for 20 years (as amaizing as that seems!) and well shot - However none of the aftermarket dealers seems to know about the frontbox - they all just talk about a cat and the 2 boxes to the rear of it - i suspect that its because this cat that isnt a cat box was only fitted for a few years on the e34 before they brought out the 24v engine, approaching 20 years ago.

That only leaves me with bmw direct which i am suspecting will require me to saw an arm and a leg off to purchase it.

so I was considering just ditching it with a straight through pipe before it falls off.

whiskychaser
01-08-2009, 04:21 AM
The problem I have is that the original box has been on there for 20 years (as amaizing as that seems!) and well shot - However none of the aftermarket dealers seems to know about the frontbox - they all just talk about a cat and the 2 boxes to the rear of it - i suspect that its because this cat that isnt a cat box was only fitted for a few years on the e34 before they brought out the 24v engine, approaching 20 years ago.

That only leaves me with bmw direct which i am suspecting will require me to saw an arm and a leg off to purchase it.

so I was considering just ditching it with a straight through pipe before it falls off.

Mine is the M50 24V and built in 1992. If mine goes I will be in the same boat. Had a look round and couldnt a front box either. I'd be checking out breakers at least for a stop gap till you find a new one at a decent price. And when you do, let me know too!!

Ross
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I would put something there, perhaps a pair of small glass packed mufflers.

whiskychaser
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I would put something there, perhaps a pair of small glass packed mufflers.
x1. How about these:
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/19588/20612/Furry-ear-muffs-with-speakers.phtml