PDA

View Full Version : Shogun - I need direction please.

Jazzman
12-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Hello Shogun, my '94 740iL I understand has the LADL self leveling rear suspension. I have been getting a serious jolt in my rears when I go over even on shallow pothole or a slight hump, feels like the spare tire is loose on the mount. I filled the reservoir with the CHS fluid since it was a little low and I followed the Bentley manual regarding the bleeding procedure. It seems like my rears are riding low so I even tried raising the ride height as per the manual but it did not affect the height at all. Is it possible to replace the cartridge on the rear suspension even if they are hydraulically actuated, or do I have to replace the whole unit (which include the hydraulics)? Is it worthwhile to just scrap the LADL and replace them with regular aftermarket struts? By the way I replaced the stock wheels with the Style 32 17" staggered wheels off of a 2000 540. I know I lost some ride compliance with the change but did it ruin the struts? Your advice is highly appreciated.

shogun
12-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Looks like the 'bombs' are dead, that are the parts hwere actually the dampening is taking place. Inside the steel bombs there are spheres filled with nitrogene (?), and if they break, the complete bomb is filled with Pentosin = no more dampening.
Go to my website below>links>private links>click Johan&Sean,click accumulators replacement under suspension.

Bavauto.com has a self levelling elimination set, but I would keep the LAD, a nice comfort part.
The self levelling kit consists of some bolts etc and costs already abt 200$, then you need new rear shocks, new rear springs because the LAD springs are softer than normal ones, and new shock mounts, for the same money you get new bombs and new LAD shocks. But LAD shocks can be repaired, search on
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/
www.autohausaz.com has the bombs cheaper.