PDA

View Full Version : sunroof removal

Lordsneldon
10-19-2008, 11:11 AM
does anyone know how to remove just the actual sunroof and not the whole mechanism please?

I have come across another schwartz black e34 in the scrapyard and i wanted to remove the sunroof as mine has a great big hole in the paint where the lacquer has gone and small traces of rust on the edges!:.....oh yeah i also decided to do a steering box swap as i was completey fed up with the car wandering all over the road......i got the 'new' steering box yesterday from the scrapyard..i took it out of a 1995 and the car had only done 78k!!!:) and i got charged just £15 for it!!!!

BMWDriver
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
To remove the panel, you'll first have to open it partly, about 6 inches or more to get a bit of working space. Since the car won't have power, you'll have to remove the pannel where the roof lights are. There you will see a wheel into which you have to insert a key to make it turn. It's a hex type, shaped like an S more or less, and is usually found in the tools compartment.

Then you must pull on the inside pannel of the sunroof, which is held into place by two plastic clips on each side. They pinch onto the roof, so you just have to open them up. If you open the roof far enough, you could have a look with your seeing eyes. Once that pannel is free, push it all the way back, and close the roof, and have it lift up the rear part so you can work and see.

You'll then see 6 screws to undo, 3 per side, holding the pannel in place. Two per side must be undone where one can stay in place but loosed. The screws are torx type.

No pics on hand, sorry.

BMWDriver
10-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Are you sure that the swerving was not due to the bushings and arms ? That's kind of a weak point of this car. I had mine replaced over two years ago, and I think my bushings are already starting to show some signs of needing replacement.

NielsGalan
10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Sunroof