PDA

View Full Version : TRANS PROGRAM '91 735i More help needed

Alpintourer
10-06-2008, 04:35 PM
My 118K mi 735i gave me a few fits a few months ago. Some shifting issues where it seemed not to want to upshift. It went away very shortly thereafter until this AM. I returned home from an oil change and after a few minutes I got back in the car and upon starting got the "TP" message. I returned to the oil change place and had them look underneath the car to see if they had accidentely caught something (a wire?) but all looked fine to them. As I left the tranny was fine for a few hundred yards and then..."TP". Consulted with a local mechanic who has worked on the car. We reset the dashboard reminder lights but that didn't solve the problem. He consulted w/ a tranny guy who did a cleaning on my car a few years back but he did not have any insights. I headed to this forum and researched "TP" issues. Gave the battery (fairly new) a nice charge but this did nothing for the problem. Then I cleaned the shift selector contacts as mentioned on an early thread but no luck. Tried switching to M manual mode just after turning on ignition but 10 sec after turning ignition on I still get the dreaded "TP" error message.

Any further thoughts before I call my dealer who is a hour away? I'm not tranny savvy but I do have some aaforementioned local resources I could use to put the car up on a lift, but I need to know what to tell them to look for.

Thanks all!

shogun
10-11-2008, 01:03 AM
ask here, there are E32 drivers only
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32