PDA

View Full Version : (E34) Which engine is best for turbo set-up?

Spice Boy
09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
On the E34, which is best?

M30? M50? M60?!?!

I am trying to decide what engine to replace mine wi9th and this will help me decide...

HELP!

bubba966
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
The M30 has been turbo'd the most, so it should be easy for you to do an M30. The M50 has been turbo'd as well, but it'd be harder for you to DIY one of those. And I don't ever recall hearing of anyone doing an M60 as those are usually supercharged. Can't remember if Dinan ever turbo'd an M60 or if he'd quit doing turbos by the time the M60 came out. I know Dinan SC'd the M60...

genphreak
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
M106- its an M30 with a turbo, factory. Special valves, injectors, pistons, crank oilers, Motronic, intake plumbing, knock sensing, BOV, safety relief, intercooler, etc. If you use an M30, it pays to do most of this. Factory fitment to the late e23 745i model, plenty in the US. See www.bmwturbos.com for more.

Bruno
09-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I am running a turbo M30 engine with forged pistons, stock cylinder head (rebuilt) and stock bottom end.. I am even running stock headgasket.
10psi of boost, running great on the race car.

attack eagle
09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
well since you have an m50, stay m50.

healtoeit
10-14-2008, 09:27 AM

M30? M50? M60?!?!

I am trying to decide what engine to replace mine wi9th and this will help me decide...

HELP!

Any engine that is non vanos would be ideal... imo

clevertd
10-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Provide reasons, not opinions.

Bruno
10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I would say that anything that is low compression and a strong bottom end would be great.
The M50 has a superior head with dual cam.
The V8 would be too complex to turbocharge with two manifold
The M30 is bulletproof with forged pistons.

A lot of M50 or M30 are being super and turbocharged. Even in stock form without any mods to the bottom end.

If really depends what is the ultimate goal.

healtoeit
11-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Provide reasons, not opinions.

A non vanos engine will not change the cam timing at a higher rpm, this can effect the turbo when vanos hits and the exhaust and therefore intake characteristics change. The more consistent the exhaust from the engine the more consistent the turbo, the more efficiently it will work. This is in an aftermarket set up. You could, and I'm sure people have, get Vanos and turbos to work, but most systems are half assed and don't account for the effect that vanos has.

clevertd
11-18-2008, 07:27 AM
VaNOS turns on/off at different RPM dependent on load and temperature. For peak numbers? Sure, I could see the NV route, but there is more power under the curve and better driveability when VaNOS is used. There are many people out there that tune VaNOS and are easily contacted. There is NO reason to half ass a turbo system, if you do, you've got bigger problems.

This will help: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944487

healtoeit
11-19-2008, 06:37 PM
There is NO reason to half ass a turbo system, if you do, you've got bigger problems.

People half ass them all the time to save money(just look on ebay)! I'm not saying half ass the system. I'm saying that most people will not consider that vanos will effect the turbo. A non-Vanos engine will be easier to tune w/ cams and easier to produce a more predictable boost due to the consistency of the power curve. Unless you tune the Vanos (which I bet more then 50% of people who turbo there BMW do NOT) then I think it is pointless to get a vanos motor. I've seen m50 non vanos engines w/ low boost produce over 400hp

This will help: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944487
Good thread!
In the thread both my and your points are proven!
Vanos=good for street
Non-Vanos=better for track

healtoeit
11-19-2008, 06:38 PM

M30? M50? M60?!?!

HELP!

Y turbo?

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=vacmotors&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=760585963&Count2=677726387

Martin in Bellevue
12-16-2008, 02:00 AM
I like the m30. http://e28-535i.com/upload/martinManifold.JPG

Bruno
12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I like the m30. http://e28-535i.com/upload/martinManifold.JPG

M30 with intercooler and Megasquirt, that works perfectly.
M50 non vanos would be another great choice, with it's strong valve train.

I would intercool it though, easy way to make more power and keep the heat out.

Martin in Bellevue
12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I am looking at water injection. Dan Miller burned a custom motronic chip to run 36lb injectors and bosch maf.

Bruno
12-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I am looking at water injection. Dan Miller burned a custom motronic chip to run 36lb injectors and bosch maf.

Well, personally, I do not want to run something like water injection as you need to keep an eye on it all the time.

You should really look into megasquirt, but that is also a personal preference. I played a lot with custom chips and it is never the way you like it except if it is made with your car on the dyno or if you are sending your A/F ratio files to the chip maker all the time so he can adjust the fuel delivery.

Do you have a wide band O2 in your car?

Martin in Bellevue
12-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Well, personally, I do not want to run something like water injection as you need to keep an eye on it all the time.

You should really look into megasquirt, but that is also a personal preference. I played a lot with custom chips and it is never the way you like it except if it is made with your car on the dyno or if you are sending your A/F ratio files to the chip maker all the time so he can adjust the fuel delivery.

Do you have a wide band O2 in your car?
Miller has a dyno; his tune is very good. I have an lc-1 wideband with dynotune display; it reflects good afr's with the 36lb injectors. I would have gone with megasquirt, had I not ridden in Dan Miller's turbo 535. Jeff N and Erik have both driven my car (in low boost) and seemed to like the way it drove.

Bruno
12-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Miller has a dyno; his tune is very good. I have an lc-1 wideband with dynotune display; it reflects good afr's with the 36lb injectors. I would have gone with megasquirt, had I not ridden in Dan Miller's turbo 535. Jeff N and Erik have both driven my car (in low boost) and seemed to like the way it drove.

I wasn't sure if he just sent you a chip or dynoed your car...

Dataloging is also important, you might miss some spike in the AFR reading just looking at the gauge, but I am guessing that for a daily driver that rarely sees full boost for too long, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

The race car is either seeing full boost or no boost, so I am running a pretty righ mixture to keep the engine from blowing up.

What I like with a stand alone system is that you can run without a MAF, but again for a daily driver, a MAF would probably add to the driveability of the car.

What is your estimation of the power output on your car? 300ish? 70 to 100 more than stock? How much boost are you running? 6 - 8 psi?

stx133
08-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Before spending money on a build, a blueprint must be known first.
Purpose - Track / Strip / Road - Combination
power - 300 - 400 - 500??
budget $$$$$$$$$
Other planned mods allowed for
Brakes, Drive line.....
I Decided to run the 540 with over 200kw rather than playing around with a Turbo for street use.