PDA

View Full Version : E30 Suspension question re: cracking

Jason
05-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi all,

I might be getting an 89 325i 5 spd from a friend for free, sounds better than it is, cause the car is fairly rough, but I intend to work on it myself and learn and make it a dedicated auto-x/track beater overtime and hey, the price is right. Anyway, so the suspension is basically shot on the car, everything would need to be replaced, (literally) and my question is, how much abuse can the suspension mounting points take before they crack? I know they are a weak point. The car wasnt driven hard, but the streets here in NYC suck so it sees a lot of rough stuff. are these even the type of forces that cause the cracking? If it needs welds is it even worth itat that point? that isnt something I could take on myself. any info is appreciated.

Thanks guys

winfred
05-27-2004, 07:56 PM
i hear on track cars the rear sway bar to body mounts can break with a bigger rear bar but i've never seen it, generally nothing goes wrong that can't be unbolted as long as rust hasn't killed it on a e30. if left broken and never fixed the rear upper shock mounts can dammage the mounting holes on the body, nothing that some welding won't fix, you gotta get into the trunk and if you use a gas shielded welder (mig/tig) the gas will displace the o2 from the trunk and put you into a bad spot, have a strong fan blowing fresh air into the trunk while you are in there (been there almost done that, ******* moved the fan and i didn't notice till it was hard to breath)

Jason
06-02-2004, 01:55 PM
shocks and mounts, will this point give? there car goes over a good deal pot pot holes.

Jason
06-02-2004, 01:56 PM
sorry for the screwy typing