PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Smell

DMahon
05-26-2004, 09:55 PM
I have a 1993 325is. Lately, I've noticed that after I fillup the tank, I get a very concentrated smell of gas fumes. This smell continues until the tank gets below 3/4 of a tank. Then the smell disappears. It is bothersome because I have an attached garage and the smell overwhelms the house. I've checked for leaks both around the gas tank and the engine...don't see anything.

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any suggestions on what I can do short of bringing it in for a mechanic to look at?

Thanks

D. Mahon

Jr ///M5
05-26-2004, 10:08 PM
I've heard that topping off the tank is a way to destroy the activated carbon canister filter on BMW's, and will result in the tank not being able to properly vent cleanly. Check all the vent hoses to the canister filter and make sure they are connected, but first, re-check all your fuel hoses for leaks. I'd park the car outside until it was fixed, one spark with concentrated fumes in your garage will spell disaster for your whole family. Get it checked PDQ.

winfred
05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
gas smell on a e36 is usually a on top of the tank problem, ether a o-ring on one of the two senders has died, or the **** designed plastic/rubber pressure line from the right side (fuel pump) is starting to leak directly infront of the tank where the steel pressure and return lines start and the rubber lines from the tank end. being fuel level related id guess it's a o-ring, theres a sending unit on each side of the tank accessable from under the back seat, pump on right gauge on left

Unregistered
06-11-2004, 06:31 PM
The problem was with a cracked ring or something under the hood. I'm a girl so I don't pay attention to the names of these things. However, when I filled up my car I could smell gas and when it was a 3/4 tank I couldn't smell gas anymore. Dealer fixed it after I complained that they sold it to me that way.