PDA

View Full Version : Help New Owner of a 525i 91'

Boggie1688
05-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Tahoma
Hi Everyone,
New member to the forums and I wanna say hi to everyone.

Ok now my questions...I'm 17 and I just got a 525i 91' my dads old car...he just recently bought a new E320. So now I have a beemer and I gotta say I love this car. It handles soo well and its really fun to drive..but its kinda slow...and wellz I'm into nice fast cars...and I thinking you guys can help me get started.

Quick History:
It had 140,000 miles, my dad installed some exhaust on it...he has no clue what kind...and thats about it...OH and a K&N filter, inside the box, he didn't switch it to the open cone filter. Car is Silver.

My Goals:
MORE HP...doesn't everyone want it?
HID kit....
Style...definitely want to get new rims..and tires...I dunno about a body kit...Definitely want tint...I think the car's window has like a bluish tint to it...Definitely want HID lights.

My price range is well...let just say slim...I have about 3,000 saved up...and my dad will give me money...cuz instead of saving up to get a new car. I think i've decided to keep this car. So please guys give me your recommendations...I'd love to see where I can take this car too and how I can cruise in style and still maybe kick a few ppls asses while i'm at it. I know I left out specs and information you'll want...but I'm not a car pro...so please reply back with questions of things I have left out.

Thanks Again,

Boggie1688

Tiger
05-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Get EAT Chip for your HP craving... Definitely get HID headlight... And tinit is no problem... All this can be done for $1000...

I estimated $200 for EAT chip... $200 for real good tinting stuff (check your state laws on how dark you can go)... and $600 for HID kit with DEPO Euro Headlight since your original headlight is probably all pitted up.

Wheels? Check out Bekkers replica... they got real cool deep dish 16" cross spoke wheels for $165 each and get some nice tires to go with it... $1000 there also.

$2000 altogether.

Boggie1688
05-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Do you know where I can get some info on the chip? and rims? And where I can find a place to order them? Just for research sake...Thanks TIGER

jplacson
05-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Upgrade your chip
Get rid of the exhaust if it isn't a BMW exhaust
GET RID OF THE K&N crap.. it's worse than the BMW filter
DO NOT 'upgrade' the spark plug cables, or spark plugs... go back to stock (no Bosch super 4 stuff... stick to NGKs)

Go to XenonValot.com for good AngelEye/HID kits for the E34. Although I suggest you read up on Danielsternslighting.com on HID vs. Halogen... you might be surprised. Let's just say, I'm sticking with Halogens.

Stick to 17" rims if you want faster acceleration... 18" and above start weighing that car down on start up... unless you can spring for racing rims which are half the weight of normal rims. And don't fill up the tank (track tip)

And visit bmwe34.net for more tips on how to soup up your ride. :) good luck and keep us posted! :)

Boggie1688
05-25-2004, 12:55 AM
LOL but my exhaust sound SIIICCK....all my buddies love it to death...its damn loud...and sounds hell nice...I'll go record the sound later and post it...:D Aites soo first i'll just get new sparks...and for the filter what do you recommend? I think I'll do the cheap simple mods first...like the new sparks, filter, and tint. Later I'll start doing lights and stuff....I'm not great under the hood...and I know if I bring it into the shop to get installed...it will cost me a fourtune! P.s. Danielsternslighting.com doesn't work...is it down? or did u spell it wrong?

jplacson
05-25-2004, 01:16 AM
sorry, correction on the link http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html ... no "s"

well, just to let you know, most (if not all) after market exhausts can reduce your output by about 2HP. Stick with stock. They aren't BMW for nothing. Schnitzer and Dinan MAY make a difference, but not by much. Not worth the cash unless you like the looks.

Headers are a good upgrade, but the exhaust of BMW is a lot better than most out there. Stick with the stock BMW filter as well, it's at least 2x better than K&N's best filters..IMO anyway.

If you can't go heavy on the engine mods... that's fine... then the best advice... STICK WITH STOCK BMW COMPONENTS!!!! They're the best you can get without modifying your engine a lot. If you can, get the M5 versions of the parts you intend to replace. The only basic upgrade really worth it then is a chip.

I'd like to quote a line in BMWE34.net that I really, really love regarding aftermarket parts ... "Sorry, but you don't have a Honda." ... stick with BMW parts, they're better than most aftermarket parts. There are very few aftermarket parts that are better (although it would depend on what you want it for)

Suspension is one..if you intend to track your car, or lower it... you'll have to go with Aftermarket springs and shocks... oh, and don't buy into the "You need a lowering shock to work with lowering springs!" crap. Stick with stock or Bilstein height shocks.

Anyway, most of the best E34 info can be found on bmwe34.net there isn't anything I needed to know that I didn't find on that site! the best one out there for the e34 and it gives very practical info. Read up there, and decide for yourself :)

Just to let you know, I'm running 18" even though I know they slow the car down cuz they look better. I'm also running stock shocks vs. Bilsteins cuz I prefer the softer ride. And I'm still deciding on the chip or not. Chipped engines run higher octane and isn't always available here so I've put that off.

These are MY choices... the basics (and more advanced) mods are all listed in the site. :) Hope you find what you're looking for! Look under "Recipe for power" ;)

Boggie1688
05-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Added info...I was talking to my dad about the car...and the modds i wanna do..Hes fine with it...but he says theres a problem with the transmission. He says the seals are leaking fluid and there is some slippage...I'm guessin this is a major problem. Anyone know how much this is gunna cost me to fix? Should I replace the whole transmission? Stick with my auto or go stick? I like stick...but will it cost more than an auto? Help!

jplacson
05-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Hmmm... afaik, that just sounds like a basic gasket seal and clutch change. Whether or not there is a bigger problem, you won't know til you have it checked.

Now, I prefer stick as well... but the only way to know is whether you can find a decent stick lying around for a decent price.

mholbrook
05-25-2004, 12:09 PM
First things first.

Make sure the car is in tip-top shape in every system.....like the tranny. Then think about your mods.

I'd leave the exhaust alone since it's already on there. $3000 can go quick. Get Mark D's chip for $179 or so. Make sure the brakes are in tip-top shape and the cooling system too. Check out the suspension as you may need thrust arms with new 750 bushings.

Next get the tint and tires/wheels. You have 15" wheels. Look for BMW....repeat...BMW wheels in 17". Ebay is a good spot but look through all the lists for sale stuff. As an example, BMW M5 turbines with tires sold for $666 a couple days ago in the LA area on eBay. That is one of the best E34 wheels with tires that would have lasted you a year.

By the time you have that done, you'll have your feet better on the ground. The most important thing is that the car be good for a "round" trip and be able to stop. A 525 is not a rocket but if you work at it you can set it up for world class handling and have a lot of fun. Just take it a little slower.

Boggie1688
05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Yea...I don't expect this thing to rocket down the street and beat and of my friends cars. :D

I got home from school today and made a few phone calls to a few autoshops around my area...Most of them told me the change would roughly be 2000-3000...which I guess seems reasonable...my dad said he would help me out to pay for it. Plus I got a nice nice summer job...

I think I won't do anything to the car....until I figure out this transmission issue...If I keep my current one...its only a few hundred to fix the seals, your right jplacson. But stick is fun!

As for the coolant system...and the brakes...they seem fine...can you tell me how I would go about checking the systems? I'd prefer to actually start geting under the hood and familiarizing myself with my car...instead of having to pay a mechanic to look at it. I know we just changed the waterpump on the car...like 1 week ago...the seals were bad...guy charged me $280...and I saw online that the pump was only like 40 bucks...DAMN...but oh wellz not like I really would have figured out how to change it myself....As for the bushings...I think we had those changed about 10,000 miles ago...the steering was a bit wobbly and shakin....and my dad took it in...and they replaced some type of bushing...not very sure....

Wish me luck...I think I have a feel for what I want to do with this car...and I know how much its going to cost...Hopefully I don't have to sell it and end up carless... :(

P.s. Tranny...how do I check that ?

Boggie1688
05-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Nvm the tranny is transmission...LOL i think .... thats an issue right now..

Unregistered
05-25-2004, 06:33 PM
P.s. Tranny...how do I check that ?

Lift up its skirt or take a grab, you'll find out pretty quick.

Tiger
05-25-2004, 07:54 PM
The EAT Chip can be found here...

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

The Bekker Rondell Cross-spoke wheels I mentioned are here...

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BI&Category_Code=brrimscs

The new european headlights can be found on ebay...

Depo (made in Taiwan)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2478500730&category=6763

Ask the guy for it... $170 complete

or you can try the Hella (Germany-best)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479613729&category=33710

European headlight is already 4X better than stock when new... now that your headlight is pitted, it would be like 6X better. HID is optional... I suggest you see if you think Halogen is enough... HID Is another 10X better... I would not consider putting HID on pitted original headlight... waste of money and blinding to oncoming traffic.

Body kit? Forget it... the most costly item that can really drain your wallet fast. M-tech addons are the best looking.

Now you said tranny trouble... I am guessing automatic because you mentioned $2000-3000. Shop real hard online... To have a local shop put it in will be only about $500. Pep boys charges like $300 for the job... but I don't know... First thing first... check where it is leaking... if it is the pan, then look like you need to have the filter changed... because LOW fluid level also make transmission slips.

So you may not even need a transmission.

ryan roopnarine
05-25-2004, 08:11 PM
scott council (who rebuilt his tranny, same as yours) asked someone to host this, and i volunteered. see if any of your transmission problems are the same as the ones outlined in this bulletin....

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/SI%20%20Pendelum%20Shifting,%20Delayed%20Gear%20En gagement%20or%20Adapter%20Cas.PDF

mholbrook
05-25-2004, 09:57 PM
OK, here's the deal on your waterpump, the pump is $40. and the coolant is about $10 or so. But, that is wholesale BMA prices, not the retail price. If you go to BMA website (www.bmaparts.com) you will see the retail price and the wholesale price. The mechanic's shop also charges about $80 an hour for labor more or less. So if the book rate calls for 1.5 hours, that is what you get charged. Never mind if it takes 30 minutes. It takes 30 minutes because the guy is good and knows all the tricks to make it happen and has the correct tools. You need to get a Bentley's manual and read it. Get some basic tools and at your age, I recommend that you save and buy Craftsman at least. You'll thank me in about 30 or 40 years. Get one of those bigger sets of sockets with 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 as well as a full set of combination wrenches from about 6 to 22mm. Also a set of allen sockets and torx sockets as well as a set of screwdrivers and pliers. That would be the minimum and from there you can start building. Buy good stuff and you won't be sorry and you won't be buying tools twice either.

Learn to fix the car yourself and get confidence. A list like this is full of guys who have been there and done that. Make use of that knowledge. I fully agree that you should get the trans taken care of and go slow. Once you have owned a couple E34's or have a year or so under your belt with this one, you should be pretty well versed in this platform. Get the Bentley.

Best regards

Tiger
05-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Wow! That's great info!

Boggie1688
05-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Wellz I got the transmission check out a few hours ago...they said its some seals that need replacing...and is going to cost like 300 - 400 bucks...then I asked if I wanted to swap the whole sucker out for a 5 speed manuel how much it would cost...and the guy said he'd have to get back to me on that...I'm itching for a manuel, lots more fun to drive around with...but I'm sure the swap will be costly...Gotta start saving...

As for those lights
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2478500730&category=6763
They look really nice...and easy to install..something I could easily do...and for $170 it looks like a great steal! Does anyone have these installed with pics of th lights on at nite? I would like to see how they look...This weekend I'm heading 2 citys over to take a look at a xenon specialty shop...this guy installs xenons on llots of cars...and my buddy knows him well...hopefully he can give me a good estimate...Any recommendations? Things I should be aware of? just of the top of your heads? I tried to read that
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
It was hard to understand...but all i got from it was that depending on the light bulb you should be aware of the filters and how they aren't brighter...they just filter out specific lightwave frequencies...soo the light looks more pure...not brighter...

The rims are might might nice...but my car is silver...and the inteiror is greyish....I think when I get this car full done...I'll repaint it...a darker gun/grey metallic metal....and get nice black rims with like a silver lip around the rim...that should look pretty sweet... :D if its not to damn expensive...

It looks to me that things aren't going to be as expensive as I thought...especially if i don't switch the transmission to a manuel one...BUT I WANT ONE BAD!

Tiger
05-25-2004, 11:39 PM
You are young... you need your attention on the road... and girls... not on stick shift.... didn't your dad tell you that guys can only concentrate on two things and that three would be a disaster?

Tiger
05-26-2004, 12:08 AM
By the way... HID kit can be had for $400 complete.

mmaddock
05-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Manuals (stick shift to you guys!) are much nicer to drive! In the UK we don't really go for auto's. Can't downshift for a corner and power it round with the back wheels lit up properly in an auto 'cos if it changes gear half way round the corner you are in trouble!

I think you'd be better off sticking with the auto for now tho. Get a manual when you change the car.

Might need to change rear diff if you are changing the gearbox type - anyone confirm this? Different diff ratio ?

Boggie1688
05-26-2004, 02:36 AM
My Point exactly...stick is just more fun...makes everything more exciting...and u can just get into driving your car harder faster...and push urself...I'm lucky I live at the bottom of the mountains in california...there are lots of places i can take my car to drive...and boy it is fun...take turns as hard as u can...trying to keep the car from spinning out...theres a road down here called GMR...glendora mountain road....half the year its closed...because the roads are soo windy and don't have guardrails that people always fall off the side....I was reading a few car mags and ppl actually take their cars up there and go drifting...one day...when I can drift...i'll try it too...I don't mind fallin off a cliff...At least I can say i experienced it once!

Tiger
05-26-2004, 09:53 AM
How old are you?

G Feller
05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Assuming excellent condition, your car is worth about $5500 (Kelley Blue Book price www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com)). A 1991 535 (which has quite a bit more thrust and the M30 engine goes forever) with the same mileage goes for about $6500.

So you put a little money into the 525 to get it into the best possible stock condition you can, then sell it and use the proceeds plus your savings to buy a decent 535. You are now in a whole new ball game (and insurance category, but I assume that would be your father's problem). The 535 is faster, nicer, more collectible, and it would have a stick shift.

True, it may be a bit of a hassle to find one with a manual transmission, but you shouldn't have to leave the left coast to find one.

Alternatively, you could sell the 525 and buy another 525 (maybe a little newer, a little nicer) with a manual tranny. The difference between an auto and a manual in a 525 is pronounced once you get into the higher revs, which that engine is happy to provide.

Just an alternative way to look at it. Regardless, you have a great car and seem to appreciate it.

Now, how about convincing your dad to invest in a trip to driving school for you about as soon as you get hooked up with a manual transmission?

Good luck - we'll be here.

Tahoma
just got a 525i 91'

My Goals:
MORE HP...doesn't everyone want it?
HID kit....
Style...definitely want to get new rims..and tires...I dunno about a body kit...Definitely want tint...I think the car's window has like a bluish tint to it...Definitely want HID lights.

I have about 3,000 saved up...I think i've decided to keep this car.

Boggie1688

Boggie1688
05-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Wellz the problem with that idea, is that not many people want to buy my car...I've already actually tried to sell it...and no one even offered me a price...I doubt this thing will sell...no offense to anyone here but BMW do have problems after reaching a certain mileage...luckily my dad didn't mind having the parts fixed and replaced...he loves this car just as much as I do...I really would like to get a manuel...and a more powerful engine...but I just don't think I can get anyone to buy my car...and lemme tell you...its looks beautiful....I'll take some pics later and record the exhaust sound for you guys... :D If I could sell it and get a 535i I would...but then I doubt I can and I dunno if I can convince my dad to get me a 535i after selling the 525i....Plus we actually got the break system completely replaced...I forgot to tell you guys that...the car is in almost perfect working condition...besides the ac clutch...which is bad...But I'll fix that...or at least get it fixed....and by the looks of it...I think i'm sticking with my auto...the car mechanic called back and said 2000-3000 to swap and redo the gear ratios and stuff....too much for me...so I'm getting the seals fixed and then get started with my mods.

Oh and i'm 17

I'm starting to look at turbos for the car...any suggestions? anyone know how much I can expect to get? out of a turbo? and price for one?

jplacson
05-26-2004, 09:44 PM
forget turbos. go the supercharger route. Less lag, and imo, is much easier on your engine. But mind you, they do go for about $2500 and up for the good ones.

how much more speed are you looking for? are you looking for acceleration, or top end speed? on a budget, you can't really have both. so decide which you wanna gun for first.

the chip is the best and easiest upgrade you can do for now. and a chip has the most improvement on an A/T so you'll be happy with that mod for a while til you can save for more.

if you can find headers next, that might be a good thing to do. and i think these are the next 'least expensive' upgrade you can do next to the chip.

oh, are you running rims yet? if you're after acceleration, don't use anything over 17"... like I said, these start slowing the car down on the initial start up... unless you can afford the more expensive racing rims which are light weight. But if I had the cash, and could find a set here... I'd swap my 18" for the M5 throwing stars.

Boggie1688
05-26-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm not going for top end speed....the fastest I've ever gone in my car is like 110 mph on the freeway...and that was only for a few seconds....In california cops are every where...and speeding tickets are quite costly...this car is gunna be more of a nice unique ride...that can waste most cars of the line to the next traffic light...where I bust out the song "another one bites the dust" and roll off laughin...no 1 has a 525i in cali that looks nice and fast....just stock...and dirty...

I haven't heard from the tranmission guy...so I'm sticking to the auto...I've decided...this weekend I'm riding down to the xenon store to take a look at the setups they got...and getting a quote...then off to the mechanic to get the seals changed on the car...after that...it will be tint...chip...lights...suspension....rims...paint. ..and supercharger...when I have enough money....then if I really love my car...new upholstery...

Does the chip really make the car feel more powerful? what about them headers? And where can i find a good supercharger?

I'm making sure I got my research done good...that way I got it all planned out and can get this project rollin...I'm damn excited...

jplacson
05-27-2004, 01:38 AM
If you're not after top-end speed... then forget the blowers. they just add weight and don't do much for acceleration (which is why BMW stays away from them in their M-cars)
Superchargers are much better for take off speed than turbos however. Since air pressure is already applied at all revs.

Actually, from E34.net, the best you can do is swap out your differential. This will alter your ratio and give you a lot more power at low speeds. It lowers your top end, but boosts your 0-60 a whole lot.

Headers would also do your 0-60 good, so look for good ones. I heard Racing Dynamics make really good ones for the E34

A chip does wonders. But more so for A/T since it reprograms the way the tranny shifts as well. It basically maximizes your engine. Stock chip is good as it is, but is tuned to cope with varying octane levels. Upgraded chips work well with only higher octane fuel. Switching to standard octane will make your car more sluggish if you run an upgraded chip.

RobPatt
05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
If you're not after top-end speed... then forget the blowers. they just add weight and don't do much for acceleration (which is why BMW stays away from them in their M-cars)
Superchargers are much better for take off speed than turbos however. Since air pressure is already applied at all revs.

Actually, from E34.net, the best you can do is swap out your differential. This will alter your ratio and give you a lot more power at low speeds. It lowers your top end, but boosts your 0-60 a whole lot.

Headers would also do your 0-60 good, so look for good ones. I heard Racing Dynamics make really good ones for the E34

A chip does wonders. But more so for A/T since it reprograms the way the tranny shifts as well. It basically maximizes your engine. Stock chip is good as it is, but is tuned to cope with varying octane levels. Upgraded chips work well with only higher octane fuel. Switching to standard octane will make your car more sluggish if you run an upgraded chip.

Boggie1688
05-27-2004, 04:44 PM
"Actually, from E34.net, the best you can do is swap out your differential. This will alter your ratio and give you a lot more power at low speeds. It lowers your top end, but boosts your 0-60 a whole lot. "

Are you talking about http://www.bmwe34.net?
Hmm...I'll look into swappin out the diff...but I bet thats costly too...
I read about the diff swap on bmwe34.net ... Seems complicated...and I was wondering if I swap the diff...what kinda of diff am I looking to swap to? Where I could find one...and how much you guys would think it would cost...

As for what robpatt said
"Dinan makes an a/t chip for $200. Get that along w/the EAT."

Why would I need 2 chips? To just keep switching them out? or something?

Was looking under the car today...and I was starring that the shocks...cuz my dad said we just replaced them....and i was starrin and starring and I swore to god we had bilsteins...so I went inside and asked him...and he said we got KYBs when replaced them....and I never heard of KYB...u guys know anything about these shocks? Will they hold up if I run out and get a eibach kit for the car? If I don't get lowered shocks...won't my shocks just like blow out cuz they run compressed?

jplacson
05-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Don't fall for the "lowered shocks" crap. ALL shocks run compressed, and NO it' won't shorten the life of your shocks.

KYB... not sure if that's the one I know of, but they aren't as good as either the stock (Boge) shocks or Bilsteins.

If your getting springs, well... I'd switch shocks as well, but if you're on a budget, I guess you can just do the springs... not really sure about this one.

If you're not gonna track the car... here's a little homebrewed tip I heard... you can actually just cut the springs on an E34 to lower it. Kinda cheezy... but I heard that only the E34 springs can hold up to that kind of archaic mod. You can run it this way until you can afford the full spring/shock upgrade.

Re: chip and differential... just get the car's BASICS up to spec... suspension, engine tune-up...etc. Then go for the chip. Start from there. Don't do everything at once cuz if something ***** up, you won't know where to start looking for the problem.

rickm
05-29-2004, 07:54 AM
jp is right, get the car running and all issues out of the way before you get into the mods game. then get an E.A.T. chip for the engine, then you can (after your transmission issue is resolved) get (if you want) a Dinan transmission chip.

Boggie1688
05-29-2004, 03:36 PM
OH there is a chip for the engine and the transmission? WoW! never knew that...hehehe I'll have to add that on to my list....As soon as summer starts for me...I'll be of to making my car beautiful...

Here are some pics
http://www.goldentreasuresantiques.com/camper168/files/Back.jpg
http://www.goldentreasuresantiques.com/camper168/files/Engine.jpg
http://www.goldentreasuresantiques.com/camper168/files/Exhaust1.jpg
http://www.goldentreasuresantiques.com/camper168/files/Exhaust2.jpg
http://www.goldentreasuresantiques.com/camper168/files/Front.jpg
http://www.goldentreasuresantiques.com/camper168/files/Interior1.jpg
http://www.goldentreasuresantiques.com/camper168/files/Side.jpg

Wellz those are the pics of the exterior and interoior...and engine compartment...and the exhaust...My dad can't remember what kind he installed...just that it costed him $500 and sounds great...he likes...I was hoping maybe you guys could figure it out...