PDA

View Full Version : 635csi race car finished and painted

Bruno
04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/mFLDAtGhekEm_ppLNJBqGw78445

I just the bumper trims, the rear tailights and the decals.

winfred
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM
sweet any other details?, i finally proved the suspension on mine at the last autocross and have it fairly balanced, i can tell i have stiffened it up quite a bit by the fact that i can blow through the limited slip on hard fast turns and have never done that before, there was a couple spots where i was blowing up the inside tire pulling out of the turn in 2nd gear, guess the ol m30b35 is healthy but depending on how well the paxton blower project goes on the e30 i may add one to da shark too :D

the set up if it matters, 81 e12 based 633 with a e28 style rear suspension, the e12 front suspension with it's 4 pot brakes works fine with a couple tweaks, bilstein sports with unknown came on it when i got it drop springs and a modified 27mm e23 front sway bar (stock e24/e12 bar is 25mm) the e28 rear set up sports e32 750il trailing arms with their bearings instead of bushings at the subframe attaching points and vented rotors, bilstein sports with e34 525 springs with one 1/2 coil chopped on the bottom perch of the shocks (ass could drop about 3/4" but i don't feel like building camber mounts for the trailing arm mounts and any lower the camber gets bad) 18mm e28 rear sway bar on custom body mounts as the e12 runs the bar forward to the subframe and has no body mounts, a 3.73 posi diff with a old 533 center mount rear cover lines up with the e12 body mount, 16x8" msw's round things out

genphreak
04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Fabulous sharks! They beat the Crocs, anytime.

She sure looks like she'll go very nicely. Didja run out of paint doing the stripe tho? ;)

Bruno
04-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Fabulous sharks! They beat the Crocs, anytime.

She sure looks like she'll go very nicely. Didja run out of paint doing the stripe tho? ;)

I get that a lot, but the decals are not done yet.

Here is the actual Group A race car and you will understand.
I am trying to do a copy of the Group A 635csi race car, that is why I did the mono wiper conversion and the 4 piston calipers, I am now working on the transmission cooler.

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/1586/676558.jpg

Bruno
04-14-2008, 07:30 AM
the set up if it matters, 81 e12 based 633 with a e28 style rear suspension, the e12 front suspension with it's 4 pot brakes works fine with a couple tweaks, bilstein sports with unknown came on it when i got it drop springs and a modified 27mm e23 front sway bar (stock e24/e12 bar is 25mm) the e28 rear set up sports e32 750il trailing arms with their bearings instead of bushings at the subframe attaching points and vented rotors, bilstein sports with e34 525 springs with one 1/2 coil chopped on the bottom perch of the shocks (ass could drop about 3/4" but i don't feel like building camber mounts for the trailing arm mounts and any lower the camber gets bad) 18mm e28 rear sway bar on custom body mounts as the e12 runs the bar forward to the subframe and has no body mounts, a 3.73 posi diff with a old 533 center mount rear cover lines up with the e12 body mount, 16x8" msw's round things out

Winfred, this is impressive...

Here are the spec of my car so far:
1985 Euro 635CSi Race car
Suspension:
Full Ground Control setup. Advanced Design double adjustable shocks, Modified strut housing, Coil over front and rear, GC camber plates, GC rear shock mounts, 25mm/19mm adjustable sway bars, Adjustable front and rear sway bar links, Sway bar mounts reinforced, adjustable trailing arm bushings, reinforced sub-frame bushings, Euro quick ratio steering box, wheel studs. Aluminum control arms, M5 bushings on thurst arms.

Drivetrain:
Euro spec 3.5L stock M30 engine. Runs very strong and reliable. 3.91 LSD, Getrag 265 OD tranny with short shift, M6 clutch and pressure plate, Exhaust Headers, Dual exhaust two dual in and out race muffler, K&N Filter, Oil Cooler, switched electric fan

Brakes:
Wilwood 4 piston calipers front, air scoop for front calipers, E34 M5 rear calipers and rotors, SS brake lines, ABS (with on and off switch), uses same brake pads as E36 M3.

Interior:
Fully gutted (within Prepared rules) with professionally built 8 point cage tied to rear shock towers, Very substantial cage with lots of "X" and foot protection, welded in dead pedal,racing steering wheel, heat, defrost and blower intact, Aluminum door panels.

Misc:
Car weighs 3050 lbs with driver (200#) and empty tank.

Lee in Ottawa
04-15-2008, 09:40 PM
looks good, any other shots?
that group A looks amazing

Bruno
04-16-2008, 10:14 AM
looks good, any other shots?
that group A looks amazing

I have other pics but I need to put them on the web.
I am now worrking on the decals so it looks like the Group A car...

BigKriss
04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
nice going!

BMWDriver
04-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Bump dude ! Love that model. PICS ! PICS !

MasssiveLee
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Nice to see an e24 going back to the track. I just see to few of them at track days. Except for Erik Brannfors' in Washington, I don't who else tracks/races one. I've been tempted for so many years to build one, but I am more a lightweight type of driver. 1969 2002 racecar and 1989 e30 M3.

Good work.

Lee

Bruno
05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Nice to see an e24 going back to the track. I just see to few of them at track days. Except for Erik Brannfors' in Washington, I don't who else tracks/races one. I've been tempted for so many years to build one, but I am more a lightweight type of driver. 1969 2002 racecar and 1989 e30 M3.

Good work.

Lee
I like the fact that the car has a racing history, next car I build will be a batmobile, I am already looking for a 3.0cs sitting in a barn somewhere.
It is just fun to build a piece of history. Right now I am as competitive as a done up E30 325is (race prep).
I am still working on the suspension, removing the arms for rod eyes. The engine will be bumped to 350 -400 HP with a 15lb turbocharger.
Dave Read has a red M6 with a M30 turbocharged engine running around 400HP... and he can move that beast!!!

Driving a big car is different, but the E28 is well balanced, and people get a kick out of it when you show up at the track where they get used to the E30 M3... too many of them.

The 6er needs around 300+ HP to be competitive, else you might as well get a E30.

Some history:
The 635 CSi touring car was BMWs entrant in Group A touring car racing from 1983 until the introduction of the BMW M3 in 1986. Group A regulations replaced Group 2 as the main category for "modified touring cars" in 1982. Group A rules between 1982 and 1991 demanded that 5000 roadgoing versions of the car proposed for racing had to be built and sold to the public as part of the homologation process. Manufacturers were free to use any gearboxes and brakes from other cars in their range regardless of how many had been made and suspension systems could be modified as long as the mounting points to the body were unchanged. Engine modifications were limited and major parts such as the exhaust manifold and the engine block could not be modified.

In Group A touring car racing there were three main categories, Division 3 for cars over 2500cc, Division 2 for cars between 1600-2500 and Division 1 for cars under 1600cc. Turbo or supercharging was allowed, but there was a handicap on engine size for forced aspiration cars. A ratio of 1 litre to 1.4 litres was in force between 1982 and 1988, and 1 litre to 1.7 litres after 1988. Hence famous Group A cars such as Fords Sierra Cosworth had a 2 litre turbocharged engine whereas their main rival the BMW M3 had an un-turbocharged 2.3 and later a 2.5 litre unit.

This car was entered into the 1984 European Touring Car Championship by Team Schnitzer who ran BMWs factory effort that year. This is reflected by the "Original Teile" sponsorship scheme which advertises BMWs "Original Parts" operation. The front and rear ends of the car also have the BMW M-Sport colours (red, navy and light blue stripes) on them, further identifying it as a works machine.

In racing trim, the 3.5 litre straight six in this car produced around 360bhp and drove the rear wheels through a 5 speed gearbox.

Austrian driver and 1983 ETCC Champion Dieter Quester drove this car with German driver Hans Stuck Jr. for most of the 1984 ETCC season. The car to beat in 1984 was the TWR prepared Jaguar XJ-S which was considerably more powerful than the 635 CSi, but the BMWs managed to win a few races as they were lighter, more economical and more reliable than the Jaguars.

BMWs won 4 out of the 12 rounds of the 1984 ETCC, with Jaguar winning 7 rounds and Volvo winning once. Team Schnitzer won only once in 1984 at the final round at Mugello in Italy. Hans Stuck won the last race of the season driving with Italian driver Roberto Ravaglia and not Dieter Quester who drove another Team Schnitzer 635 CSi in the same race but did not finish due to a damaged oil sump.

MasssiveLee
05-20-2008, 09:52 AM
The e24 indeed has a nice history. Only overshadowed by the M3's nimbleness and potential straight from day one when on its first race, it did over 2 secondes a lap quicker than the GrpA 635 it was about to replace. But being a lover of the BMW roudel for over 25 years, I can't die before I build a big 6, one day. e12, e24 or e28.

Speaking of e28, most people probably already know the epic battle between David Daniel's e28 M5 and Bryan Watt's e36 M3 at Roebling Roads in 2004. Enjoy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WzZlakDcCKI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5S0N319QI&feature=related