PDA

View Full Version : So I add coolant and warm up the E30 yesterday...

TC535i
05-22-2004, 11:11 AM
It starts to get warm, but no heat from the vents. Go out, and check the hoses... some hot, but the other side was dead cold. Pull the thermostat, and it's fried shut. Could barely get the damn thing out, it was baked to the housing too. Put a new one in, and it started blowing hot air... so nice!

Gonna drive it today, see how it does. The engine is REALLY noisy, a loud clicking sound, almost sounds like from one of the injectors... can an overheat cause an injector to fail? I'll figure it out later... at least it's running again!

TC535i
05-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Drove it around today, and it's driving just fine. A bit tough starting up, but it's fine once it's going, and has full power when it's warm (I mean, it IS an eta, but still...) Definitely pulls strong, I'm happy about that. Temp is fine, this thermostat is a little cooler than I like, but I'll live (71c). Gotta figure out what's going on with that startup thing tho.

winfred
05-23-2004, 12:11 AM
fuzzy plugs?

TC535i
05-23-2004, 12:36 AM
fuzzy plugs?

Pulling those next day off (Wed), that's my guess... they're too damn expensive tho... stupid thing wants Bosch Silver (they cost more than Platinum... wtf?!). I heard I can get away with the same plugs we use on our M30's tho, so I'll just go that route.

winfred
05-23-2004, 12:56 AM
platinums suck!!! the silvers are the best but i've tried a few silver cars with the w8lcr bosch that the later m20/30s use and have had no problems, gap em about .28

Pulling those next day off (Wed), that's my guess... they're too damn expensive tho... stupid thing wants Bosch Silver (they cost more than Platinum... wtf?!). I heard I can get away with the same plugs we use on our M30's tho, so I'll just go that route.

TC535i
05-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Yea, I wouldn't use the Plat's either, just ironic that "Silver" costs more than "Platinum"... there's just something wrong about that...

TC535i
05-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Swapped the plugs, used NGK (standard ones, "V-power" gapped to .028... car starts up MUCH better. Couple of the old ones had "blisters" on the gound electrode... that can't be good!