PDA

View Full Version : Heater Core Hell.

Letherial
03-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Alright, so my BMW 740iL-1995's Heater Core has recently been leaking anti-freeze into the heater system, causing all kinds of problems for the car, and we need a temporary fix until we can afford to fix the car, have been looking for anything that might be helpful, but information seems to be... lack luster about this topic.

What we're trying to do is feed the reroute the tubes just before the heater core, so that it just avoids the heater core all together, obviously the car will temporarily have no heating, but with summer coming up, that's not that big of an issue.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how this would be possible, that would be great, I would love to replace the heater core, but it seems that it's in a TERRIBLE place in the engine(Not so fond of taking out my steering column), and extremely hard to get to.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,

Thanks,
Leth.

Mr._Graybeard
03-06-2008, 02:41 AM
You might try a product called Bars Leaks ...

genphreak
04-12-2008, 06:33 PM
You might try a product called Bars Leaks ...Noooo!

Just get a four inches of hot water pipe, smooth the ends and disconnect the heater pipes where at the firewall. Connect the two together using the pipe and drain the heater core. Beware that coolant is dangerous to animals (poisonous) inc you and it will rust the floor pan if left under the carpet.... syphon/blow it out of your core if you are going to leave it like this, however I wouldn't leave it- it is a vital item and is required for safe de-misting etc, let alone correct AC operation.

A heater core is not that bad a job, you just need to mark the screws and bits and take digital photos of how it looks before dismantling each stage...