PDA

View Full Version : 200,000 miles and not much more

bjl4776
05-21-2004, 10:29 AM
My 92 525i just hit the 200k mile mark. I seems like it just started running like crap soon as i hit that mark. As i have a 1500 mile drive in a week id like to know if its anything i should worry about. It is extremely hesitant in lower rev range with a loud click every now and then, but cruising at highway speed it runs fine, still goes over 100 fine too, and even still gets good gas mileage. It also runs fine if i run the engine hard, its just when im trying to drive nicely. Also just on the side it is burning oil twice as fast as it was, i know it needs a rebuild, but its got to be something else as it is only the lower power that im having trouble with. Any advice would be helpful, id hate to have to break down in the middle of nowhere on my trip

Dave M
05-21-2004, 10:39 AM
its got middleage and retirement left. Ahhh those sponge-baths. My 91 has almost 490,000km (@300,000miles) and, other than my paranoia over 50ml of coolant usage, its runs great. I also use some oil on extended highway trips, but get good mileage (b/w 28-30mpg highway) and have loads of compression and power. Can't help with the clicking, may be ?auto tranny? related, but don't lose faith, lots of us have plenty of miles and healthy vehicles.

Best of luck,

Dave M

bjl4776
05-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Its a 5 speed manuel if that makes any difference

Warren N.CA
05-22-2004, 03:34 PM
say your car is just broken in properly. If you don't have smoke out the tailpipe, it would seem the oil consumption may not be a problem.

Somebody posted here a week or two ago that most problems with hesitation, stumbling, etc are caused by vacuum leaks.

Why don't you try a stomp test, and pull the trouble codes?

bjl4776
05-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Ok, im pretty sure there is a vacuum leak but, i took out the air filter to see if it was clogged to the point were it would be affecting my performance, and it was. I took it off for a loop around the street and noticed the hesitation died off a bit, but was still there, as well as the click noise being MUCH louder with the element completely removed what might that mean? Thanks